018

may 29th, 2026
5:02 pm

"LIKE I WAS SAYING BEFORE, MISS UM-

"LIKE I WAS SAYING BEFORE, MISS UM-." The African American woman who was angling to be Brandon and Kimberly's wedding planner, folded her espresso bean colored hands on top of her desk.

"Boston," Kimberly turned and grinned at Brandon, "Might as well get used to it now, right?"

"Right," Brandon passed her a smile then slunk down a little in the seat.

Wedding planning might be Kimberly's hobby at the moment but it definitely wasn't Brandon's and he was trying to keep it as low key as he possibly could.

"Ms. Boston. You want to have a wedding with 'southern charm' or a 'Gone With The Wind' wedding like you've called it, and I don't think that I'm the right person to plan that type of wedding."

Kimberly gave the woman a blank stare, "But you've been voted the best wedding planner in the D.C area for the last two years."

"Yes but," The woman started to say but Kimberly interrupted her, "Then what's the problem?"

"I don't think I would be comfortable planning a wedding around a plantation." The woman stated in a frank tone.

"And I don't want to have our wedding on one either," Brandon shook his head, "Maybe we could see other outdoor locations."

The wedding planner shot Brandon a grateful look but Kimberly's expression remained steadfast, showing that she wasn't ready to change her mind.

"I don't understand. It's not like slavery is still-."

The wedding planner rose from her seat, "I'm gonna stop you right there. I cannot take your business and even if I could I don't want to due to your willful ignorance."

She slid a multicolored paper across the desk, "That's a list of wedding planners who are more receptive to your ideas. Have a nice day."

And then almost in a flash, the wedding planner was shutting the door to her office in their faces, bringing the total of wedding planners they had seen up to three.

"Kim," Brandon sighed, dragging a hand down his face in irritation as they walked out to Brandon's car, "Maybe it's time to get rid of that wedding theme. I was never really into it either."

Kimberly pushed her blonde hair out of her face and then blew out a breath before turning to look at him, "Listen, I appreciate your input but weddings are mainly for the bride. I'm only planning on getting married once and I've been wanting to be Scarlett O'Hara since I was five. We're having a 'Gone With The Wind' wedding."