||Thirty||-›Presage

QOTD; Who is your favorite female character?

❝Did serve as meat and drink my hungry heart.❞

•Amy Levi.

And if you saw what was discreet, would it be kept

And if you saw what was discreet, would it be kept...?

☘︎THE NEXT DAY☘︎

It was a Saturday afternoon, the blazing midday sun shone through the trees.

More than half of Lord Alfred's labourers had foregathered outside for a somewhat picnic. They had ensconced to the lawn behind the quarter. Marian felt merry and grateful to everyone for the hard work done these past few months in the preparation of the grand ball——for that purpose, she had prepared a variety of meals, with the assistance of the bakers and kitchen maids.

Most of the guests who travelled for the sake of the ball had already returned to their homes. Cleaning of the manor had been completed by noon. The Wellington family and the few guests who were yet to leave had still not completely recovered from their tedious night at the ball. As a result, they weren't up to anything tiring, a simple luncheon was set in the garden- thus needed the attention of only a few handmaidens. The other workers had a few hours of free time on their hands, which was extremely seldom. They would use this rarity as an opportunity for leisure and entertainment.

The ladies served; meat-puddings, baked potatoes, spice cakes, muffins and crumpets. For refreshments, they served sherbet and gingerbeers. Some of the men were huddled around a pair playing draughts, whiles the other half of the boisterous lads were huddled around two men participating in a friendly wrestling match—They gambled on food, the winner would take anything they desired from their failed opponent's plate. On the other hand, the ladies chatted and laughed, finding shelter underneath an English oak. The exception being Rebekah, who was huddled with the men watching the wrestling match.

Julius was the last person to step out of the quarter. His thoughts of Reuben had kept him up at night. Pleasant thoughts morphed into dreadful ones the further it went into the night. He went from thinking about the physical characteristics and the endearing and intriguing personality of the man he was gradually and deeply falling for, to thinking of the inevitability of his return to his village. It wasn't that he did not care about his family anymore, because the truth was that he loved his family dearly, but then he loved Reuben too.

Julius caught sight of Hugh. He was leaning against a short stone wall, watching the wrestling match from a distance.

“Do you have a good vantage from here?” Julius inquired, shielding his face from the scorching sun.