Four

I absolutely loved this city.

Ever since I saved up enough to make it on my own, and from the moment I bought that tiny apartment and made it my home I loved it here. It was the ability to be so invisible among millions of people in a crowded city block. To walk down the street without a glance from the opposite traffic was almost peaceful.

It never slept as they say.

And of course my life changed here. It was still so surreal everytime I thought about it for more than a second. It's as if my mind couldn't help but wander to the good parts of my life to outweigh the bad.

"Amelia, I'm heading out for the day. Do you need anything else?" My coworker Anne asks from the door.

I turn from my spot at the floor to ceiling windows, flashing her a smile before shaking my head.

"No I'm good Anne, thank you for making these copies!" I exclaimed while reaching for the 100 copies of paperwork in her arms.

"No problem. See you tomorrow." I waved once more at her retreating form and lugged the paperwork to my desk, slamming it down with a huff.

Maybe it was time I started tagging along to the gym with Dante.

I cleaned up my office a bit before checking my watch hoping I wouldn't be too late to dinner with Mari. I made my way out of the office, down the hall waving at the few stragglers still here after hours, to the elevator.

Pressing the downward button I pulled out my phone.

"Baby." Dante's gruff voice greeted me on the other line as I answered his incoming call.

"Dante," I smiled into the phone leaning back along the rail watching the numbers tick down on the elevator.

"I've got a late meeting, I know you're going out with Mari but I may not be home when you get there." He said. He sounded restrained and after all this time I was able to tell why. He was lying.

"Ok... is everything alright." I was curious now, we were always open and honest now since the beginning of our relationship was just a whole clusterfuck of miscommunication and secrets.

"Yes everything's fine. I just have some work with a business partner. I'll be home by 8," he rushed out.

I knew it was a lie but what he was lying about I wasn't sure and I didn't want to jump to any conclusions here. Maybe he did really just have a late meeting.

"Alright if you say so," I trailed off while stepping through the elevator doors once they open

"Wear that set I bought you last month, and wear it under that red robe. I'll be home and on time and you'll be ready. Love you." His deep voice relayed the words which I felt travel throughout my body. And without waiting for my response he hung up.

If I've learned one thing throughout the course of our relationship it is that the he has the ability to make me weak in the knees with one sentence. Another, is that in doing so make me almost not want to be angry at his lying ass. 

Whatever he was up to I'd find out, that's for damn sure.

________________________________________________

Dante

"You're going to be sleeping on the floor for the next year now." Rodney shakes his head and laughs at my angry expression.

"Shut the fuck up." I sit up from my desk grabbing my suit jacket in the process, and twist it around my shoulders to put it on.

"You're one to talk. All Amelia talks about with Tatum is how you haven't proposed." I smirk while watching Rodney's face fall.