Chapter 37

Xander's POV:

Doe was up and ready to go, patiently standing by the door.

Waiting for me to actually move.

But my limbs felt like lead and none of my symptoms prior had lessened.

Well, they did for a moment.

A very short one until Doe asked me what had happened.

Then it all fell back into place even harder than before.

All on top of the nervous churning in my stomach the thought of going to see Nico caused, knowing that my only purpose of being there was to ask a favor.

He never looked too happy whenever I came by, though my latest drop-bys have usually involved an injury that I took the blame for.

I just don't know if I could handle any sort of annoyed or disappointed glare from him right now.

He's been in good spirits lately, so maybe I'm just overthinking.

I used that small ounce of a positive outlook and used it to pry myself out of my bed.

Trudging my way over to the door, I mentally prepared myself for whatever mask I was about to have to put on in front of Nico.

I didn't know which one it would be yet.

I'll fig-....

My next breath came out more like a pant, the pressure in my abdomen splitting and shooting up into my head.

I tried my hardest not to stagger, and I thought that I'd gotten away with it until I glanced down at Doe and caught the genuine worry in her features.

Her lips parted just a bit, before shutting tightly, I guess changing her mind about asking about it.

Thankfully.

If she did, I don't even know If I could explain it to her

I just needed to hurry to Nico. Hurry and get him to agree to go so that Layla's answer gets solidified.

I'll have an answer, and then maybe this awful feeling will finally go away.

Or I can just chug a crap ton of blood, and just hope that it sates that inner part of me that's decided to be annoying.

I opened the door, and stepped out first, sniffing the air and glancing around for any sign of Layla before motioning Doe to follow me.

She did, staying closely behind me.

With every step closer to his door, closer to an answer, I could feel that deep desperation grow.

Like it was clawing through my ribs and sternum

And had my hands shoot into my pockets lest my claws decide to make another appearance.

Keep it together. Just keep it together until I get my answer.

And even after that... I wanted to keep it together in front of her.

The only somewhat pleasant sensation I was experiencing right now was that familiar, odd warmth from the very small spot she had poked my head...

But at the rate this torment was scraping its way through me, I didn't know how much longer I could go without showing it.

I reached for the handle the second it was within reach and placed my thumb on the little box above it.

But the door didn't unlock.

I stared, confused before trying it again, and then once more.

All three yielded the same results, and the door stayed locked.