53 | Andi

My pointed toe, patent leather stilettos clicked along the ground as I approached my Toyota

My pointed toe, patent leather stilettos clicked along the ground as I approached my Toyota. I opened the driver door, tossing my satchel purse in the next seat, and settled in. I started the ignition with my key, a Mary J Blige record playing out of the speakers.

I leaned over to shut the door when I heard, "Andi! Wait up!"

I looked ahead at Normandi coming my way. She smiled, coming around so I could see her. "Hey. You off to lunch?"

"Uhm, yeah."

"You mind if I join? I'm still trying to figure out the good places to eat here. I'm so used to New York food."

What Joie told me last night popped in my head immediately. "Uhh, I'm meeting my girls. It's kind of our thing. Maybe some other time?"

Her smile dropped slowly. "Oh, um, yeah. Sure."

I offered a tightlipped smile, starting to close the door again until she said, "Oh yeah, did you ever get to speak to your birth mother?"

Don't trust her.

Joie's voice echoed in my mind. Why's Normandi even asking me this days later and she's seen me here several times before? "No," I lied. "I decided to just let it go. I'm good without her."

"Okay, I get it." She stepped back, "Have a great lunch."

I nodded and shut the door, pulling off. I drove all the way to Klyde Warren Park, where I found the food truck that I was seeking—Cree On Wheels. I found out on their Facebook page that it would be parked here and there was someone I needed to speak with. There was a lunch rush and crowd full of people, standing in the lines at the different food truck choices.

My eyes darted around at the tables, until my gaze set on the canopy picnic table near the specific food truck. She was beautiful, breathtaking smile, and the most gorgeous, deep brown skin. She donned a denim dress and had a pattern head wrap on her head. She was speaking to another lady in a uniform shirt and as much as I didn't want to interrupt, I had to.

I breathed in, gaining my strength to walk over. "Mrs. Henri?"

"That's me." Her voice was so smooth and welcoming. She looked over at me with her golden eyes squinting in familiarity. "Don't I know you from somewhere?"