Chapter 17

Torun walked down the lifeless, lamplit street. It was 4 in the morning, and the town had not woken up yet. There was still two hours before they needed to meet up with Lanka.

And Torun could think of one place he could go for some support.

The tomb of Shah Zamal stood at the end of the turn, it's arcing entrance glistening in the neon green light of lamps that flanked it. From beyond came the warm yellow glow of grave candles. The faint waft of incense floated with the chilly wind. Torun had thought of bringing Kalyani with him, but when he checked on the kitchen, she was gone. Probably enjoying her first hours of freedom.

The phone number to its reception was written on the gate plate. Torun dialled it and put the phone to his ear. On the other side, the phone rang on for almost a minute before someone picked up.

"Hello?" Said a slurred voice.

"Hello," Torun said, holding his breath, "I'm looking for Idris."

"Idris who?" The slurred voice asked, sounding a little annoyed.

Torun swallowed. This might be the moment he marked himself as logically unstable.

"Idris the Djinn," he said, "He said to contact him if something is needed."

"The fuck?" The voice sounded like it had enough, "Did you say Djinn? Is this some kind of-"

And the call cut off.

"Uncle isn't here today," a voice said from behind him.

Torun turned back to see a younger man wearing a white tunic. He had Idris's skin and his eyes burned a vibrant orange. Torun felt a wave of heat hit his face, along with a strong floral scent he couldn't place.

"When will he be back?" Torun asked.

"I don't know," The Djinn said, "But if you're looking for him, he's not here."

Then he threw a lopsided smile at Torun, "And he doesn't help nonbelievers like you anyway."

Torun ignored the jab at his irreligiousness, "Well, when he comes back, tell him to visit my house. You know who I am, don't you?"

"Of course I do, but I'm not making any promises," the rude Djinn stepped aside to open a way for Torun, "Now leave the premise of the tomb."

Torun looked behind him, at the arching entrance.

"But I'm not in the premise of the tomb," he said.

"You're in the vicinity of the tomb," the Djinn said, "Leave."

"No," Torun felt the arrogance rise from the within him, "I'm on the road, and it's government property."

"This whole town is the property of Sheikh Zamal," The Djinn replied, losing patience.

"Since when?"

"Since eight hundred years ago," the Djinn shimmered in position, and all of a sudden he was standing two feet away from Torun.

"Since he freed the people from the Old king's oppression," his breath was like the exhaust of a blast furnace, almost scorching Torun's face, "Free history lesson is over. Now leave."

Torun steeled his nerves. This wasn't the closest to death he had been in the past few days.

"And now," he thumbed towards the tomb behind him, "He's dead."

The Djinn's face twisted with rage, "Disrespect him one more time, and you will be too."

The area around them lit up with light as blue fire spewed out from where the Djinn stood, spreading out in the sky like an aurora. The scent of an unknown flower turned into that of sulphur and Torun felt his face starting to sear from the heat.

Torun knew better than to keep arguing. He backed up, and realizing he was getting closer to the tomb that way. The Djinn smiled at his foolishness, and the fire ceased, opening the way for Torun to escape.

As he was passing the pretentious Djinn, he felt a gust of Jasmin scented wind blow past him. It ruffled his hair and sent tingle around his body.

And slammed the Djinn onto the pavement like a truck full of bricks.

"Deceit," Idris's voice prowled around the alley, "Pride, Wrath, and host of others I'll just ignore."

The wind condensed into a white figure above the fallen Djinn, "You're an eight hundred year old ifrit, Abdul. Yet you keep acting like children."

"He disrespected-" Abdul tried to argue.

"He didn't disrespect anyone. For those who do great, Abdul, death is not disrespectful," Idris's form was getting clearer as the wind around them calmed down, "You lied about me being gone, showed a lot pride, and got angry over nothing."

Abdul tried to say something, but held back at the last moment.

"I was looking for you," Torun said, drawing closer, "I have some questions to ask."

Idris turned to look at Torun and for a second, Torun thought it was him Idris was mad at. And then his face went neutral.

"Abdul did not lie when he said I don't help nonbelievers," Idris said, and Torun felt his own face fall.

"But the way Abdul treated you was wrong," Idris continued, reluctantly, "So you are owed something."

"Answers?" Torun asked, hopeful once again.

"Favors," Idris replied, "Four of them. From Abdul."

Abdul rasped, "What?"

"It is only fair," Idris said.

"You'll enslave me to...to..." Abdul looked at Torun, "him?"

"Indebted, not enslaved," Idris said as the wind began to pick up again.

"He doesn't like that," Torun told Idris, "Can he pass the favors on to you?"

"Only if both of us agree to it," Idris said, "I don't."

And he vanished into a Jasmin scented whirlwind.

Abdul laid on the street for some time, then sat up.

"Four favors," he looked sideways at Torun, "What must I do for you, Master?"

"Right now, nothing," Torun smiled internally, hearing the word from someone who was being so condescending a little while ago. Even if they were being said satirically.

Abdul looked at Torun for some time, then stretched a hand towards Torun. There was a small red stone on his palm.

"Use this to talk to me," Abdul said.

Torun took the stone. "How do I use this?" He asked.

"Put it close to your mouth and say my name," Abdul said tiredly.

Torun examined the little gem. It looked like a red onyx, opaque with two golden bands going through the crimson.

Abdul snickered at his actions. "A little advice," he said when Torun looked at him, "Don't try to flee the town after my favors are done. It won't work. I will find you and I will make you pay for your actions."

"My actions?" Torun asked, part offended and part confused, "I didn't even do anything to you. You brought this upon yourself, by being bigoted enough to hate me for my beliefs."

Abdul stared at him for a long long time before asking, "You don't even realize what you're doing wrong, are you?"

Torun was going to say something in retaliation, but Abdul exhaled and suddenly his essence was scattered in the cool air that rolled around the street and shook the gate of the tomb as it went in.

Partially happy, and partially worried about what more he just got himself into, Torun began to walk towards his apartment.