Chapter 2.1

Rafe took me to a 50's diner in a back alleyway of downtown. It was super cute. Waiters wearing roller skates and a jukebox in the corner.

"What do you think?" He asks.

"I love it. This place is so cute." I say grabbing his hand.

We sit at a table in the corner. A waitress skates over.

"How can I help you guys?" She hands us menus.

"Can we get 2 pink lemonades?" Rafe asks.

"Yes of course. I will be back shortly with those."

I look at the menu trying to find something to eat. It all sounds so good, and fattening. I didn't eat much since I wasn't very big of a person.

The waitress comes back shortly with our drinks. "And your food?"

"I'll get a kids burger and fries." I say.

"A bacon burger and fries for me." Rafe responds.

"Is that it?"

"Yeah, thanks." Rafe says.

I turn to look at him. "How did you know about this place? It's kind of a hole in the wall." I say.

"My dad used to take us here when we were kids, after school. He didn't used to be so.. agressive."

"Do you know what changed?" I ask.

"I'm not sure. We lost Mom and from there it was all down hill. I started to lose it and became a trouble maker. When he married Rose it got worse. I felt like he was replacing mom. Sarah was too young to understand what all was happening."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's okay, it is what it is. Do you wanna go to the beach?" He asks changing the subject. "It's not too far of a walk."

"I'd love too."

After we eat our meals we are headed down to the beach.

As we walk through the dark alley, a small encounter catches my attention. Two men were standing very close, like they were trading something. One looked up at me, noticing that I had seen what happened. I turned my head quickly, grabbing onto the boy's sleeve.

"Rafe..." My voice waivers in fear.

"I know, I got you, Mi." He wraps an arm around my waist as he walks me to the car. The guy still follows until he sees us get in the car.

I release a sigh of relief as we get in. "You okay?" Rafe questions, on edge.

"Yeah, let's just go." I say.

"Mila?" He asks looking at me.

"I'm fine, can we just go?."

"Hey," He puts a hand on my thigh. "Talk to me."

"I was just scared, okay? I'm fine, really." I place my hand on his.

"Mila?" I don't look at him, I stare out the front window of the car. My heart still pounded on my chest. "Hey, look at me."

I turn to look at the boy. His icy blue eyes stare into my own chocolate ones.

"What?" I ask the boy. My voice comes out barely above a whisper.

"I wouldn't let anybody hurt you, okay?"

My breath catches in my throat. "Thank you." I tell him quietly.

"I told you not to judge a book by its cover." Rafe announces.

"Oh, whatever." I let out a laugh, playfully smacking the boy.

"That's abuse! I'm gonna have to tell the police you're abusing me."

"Oh yeah sure! My word against yours, Cameron. You think they're gonna believe Mr. Daddy issues over little 5'2 innocent angel?"

"More like abusive psycho!" Rafe retorts.

"I do have to say if either of us is a psycho, it's you." I quip.

"Oh, yeah that's really funny!" Rafe pretends to laugh.

"Truth hurts, big guy."

"The Lizzo song?"

"Okay, that's was the worst joke I've ever heard." I shake my head at the boy in disappointment.

Rafe starts the car. A wide smile still sat on his lips as he pulled out of the parking lot. "Where to?" He asks me.

"Oh, you can drop me off at Heyward's Seafood. I need to pick up a few things from there before I head home."

"Are you sure you don't want me to wait? I can Take you home after." Rafe offers.

"Oh, it's okay. The walk isn't too far. Thanks for offering though."

"Yeah, no worries."