Chapter 32

Amer

After spending the afternoon with her sisters, telling them story after story, she was finally able to retreat to her chambers. Just short time to freshen up for dinner.

"Moti, can you brush my hair and make a new plait?"

"Naturally. Give me the brush." She straightened Jodha's hair and helped her drape her dupatta.

"Has a pigeon come back? Is that why the keeper called you" She asked curiously.

"Yes." Replied Jodha in monosyllables.

"Did he send you a message?"

"Yes."

"Jodha, don't let it all pull out of your nose. What did he write?"

"I dont know."

"How, you don't know?"

"I haven't read it yet." She cast a longing look at the chest in which her writing box was stowed. "When should I have read? We were with Shivani and Sukanya the whole time. I have to wait until after dinner. Come on, we have to go. Otherwise Padmavati will scold me again" she sighed. Moti rolled her eyes.

Dinner was peaceful until Padmavati began to speak.

"Champavati, when are you finally going to teach Jodha manners?" Champavati looked at her inquiringly. Raja Bharmal noticed and took turns looking from one to the other.

"Why? Jodha knows how to behave. What is it this time that you don't like?" she asked mockingly.

"Today she ran through the palace in an extremely unladylike manner with her garments billowing!" Cried Padmavati triumphantly. Jodha's cheeks burned and she kept her head bowed. She was seething with anger.

"Jodha, is that right what Padmavati says?" Asked Champavati.

"Yes, maasa" she pressed out.

"Why are you running through the palace?" Champavati sounded annoyed. Padmavati's constant complaints about Jodha got on her nerves. She knew that Jodha knew how to behave. What did it matter if she moved around the palace without a care. It was out of her power to hold her daughter back.

"Uh .., one of my pigeons is sick. The keeper called me because he wanted to hear my opinion on the treatment." Uff fortunately, the excuse had occurred to her.

"Was that why you had to run like that?" scolded Champavati half-heartedly. "Next time please act like a princess and don't run around the palace."

"Yes, maasa" replied Jodha with bowed head. Her eyes shot unnoticed lightning bolts at Padmavati.

"Is that all? Don't you want to punish her?" Padmavati hissed.

Champavati was fed up. "Padmavati, whether and how I punish Jodha you leave to me! Take care of your own children! "Champavati's voice was hard as steel. Padmavati sucked in a sharp breath and started to reply.

"Enough!" Interfered Raja Bharmal with loud voice. "I want to enjoy my meal in peace. Jodha received her admonition, now we can continue to eat."

"But...!" started Padmavati. She didn't want to give up yet.

"Padmavati! It is enough!" cried the Raja. Padmavati bowed her head. "I know Jodha is your avowed favorite and you won't let anything get over her!" She muttered hatefully.

"Bapusa, may I get up?" asked Jodha. "I've finished eating and want to check on my pigeon one more time."

"Go beti! Look after her" said Bharmal affectionately. Padmavati ground her teeth.