Chapter 17: The Past

DAY ONE
*family dinners*

C H A P T E R  1 7 :  T H E  P A S T :

"Family is supposed to be our safe place. Very often, it's the place where we find the deepest heartache."

                               .........................................................

"So you're telling me you're not into her?" Ace asks, sipping his coffee

"You fucking woke me up at 5 in the fucking morning for this?"

What the fuck is wrong with him.

"You're avoiding the damn question, Jayden." He says pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I don't know, ok? She's Alice's roommate and she's gonna be around." I truly don't know what to say.

"Whatever you have going on with her. End it. We both know this isn't good for you." He says bluntly.

"There's nothing going on between me and her." I lie.

Truth be told, I don't know what's happening to me.

"Look, your mafia is one of the strongest ones there is. You know why?" He asks.

I fucking know that.

"Why?" I say, annoyed.

"Because you don't have a weakness. They don't have anything against you.. sure your sister is definitely someone you care about. But there's no girlfriend in the picture."

"Where are you going with this?" I say, growing impatient.

"She's not worth it. The chick is simply gonna make you weak."

I stiffen at the way he speaks about her. "She has a fucking name." I catch myself defending her.

Something I never would've thought I would be doing.

"Fine. Amber is going to make you weak." He says, rolling his eyes.

"We aren't together, Ace. Yes I care about her but I also care about fucking Lizzy, now you don't complain about that, do you?" I explain.

"Have you ever kissed Amber?" He asks.

"No."

"Do you want to?"

"Shut the fuck up. We have a flight in three hours, don't you have something else to do?" I ask.

"Whatever you have going on with her. End it before it begins." He says sternly.
.........................................................................................

" He says sternly