Chapter 26

I watched nervously as Liam bowed low before leaving the room quietly and closing the door after him. I wanted to yell for him to stop, to not leave me alone with these psychotic killers, beg him to take me away but instead I stood still. The click of the door echoed ominously in the large room as the sound of the roars from the hallway were completely shut out. I shuddered as the air around us suddenly dropped a few degrees, leaving my exposed skin feeling hyper-sensitive and hyper-aware of its surroundings.

They watched me with unwavering eyes, Kole and James's flashing gold while Alex and Marcus's darkened as my terrified gaze moved between them. And no matter the sheer anxiety that they instilled in me; I couldn't deny the attraction I felt towards these men. Their unholy good looks wreaking havoc on my body as a warmth began to quickly spread, making me ache from deep within.

But as each minute passed in agonising silence, I was slowly beginning to lose my mind. The initial worry I had felt came back in full force as my mind conjured up the worst possible scenarios. What were they waiting for? Was this it? Where they going to rape me? Kill me? Or fuck me before they kill? Did wolves eat humans? One question after another raced through my head as my heart reached levels of speed that I didn't know it was capable of.

I jumped as my eyes locked with Marcus as he suddenly plunged the knife he had been holding into the desk. His eyes flashed gold as an arrogant smirk appeared on his face, his features showing delight at my distressed state.

"Calm down little mate. We are not going to kill you." His lips gave way to a dashing smile before he whispered in a sinister tone, "... not yet"

The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, the adrenaline fuelling my system as my body forced me to run, to flee. Instinctively, I took a step back, the fear urging me to keep well away from these predators who were eyeing my every move with an insatiable hunger in their eyes.

Marcus tsked as he moved forward, a glint of amusement shining through his deadly orbs. "There's nowhere to run if that is what you're planning little one. We do enjoy a chase but right now, all we want to do is talk"

Talk? That was definitely not what I was expecting. I watched him turn around and pull a file off the desk before beginning to read in a monotone.

"Mia Sutherland. Born: October 15th 1997. Birthplace: Tampa, Florida. Birth parents: Unknown. Adoptive Parents: Michael and Susanne Sutherland. Michael was a police officer and died of cancer when you were 14 and Susanne was a teacher at an elementary school and is currently still alive. The two of you are estranged ever since you ran away from home at 18. Held odd jobs while you studied before landing a role in Manhattan with Ranford. Not many friends and not much of a social life. Last known boyfriend was Matthew Hayes who is an aspiring law student. Broke up nine months ago. No known kids or husbands. Met my little brother Thomas about a month ago at your meeting with the board. Which finally brings you all the way to Portland... To us."

Shutting the file, he threw it on the floor at my feet before he continued in a condescending tone, "Did I miss anything?"

My blood boiled at how the details of my life were laid bare in such a belittling way. Memories of my childhood surged to the forefront. Good ones, bad ones and the painful ones. All my achievements, hard work and sacrifices. All sounding twisted and pathetic coming out of his mouth. My jaws clenched as I forced myself to not retaliate, my anger raging intensely at the violation I had suffered at their hands, both physically and mentally.

Suddenly, a loud whimper came from the direction of the sofa, shifting my seething attention away from Marcus to Kole and James. Kole's eyes were darkening as another whimper sounded from him. His gaze locked with mine as his look conveyed a sense of deep regret and sadness that he was feeling at my anger towards them. How can I feel what he's feeling?