rockabye •twenty-seven

"I'm sorry, Serena, but don't you think it's to early to talk about this." Ben asks. Serena wanted to laugh, it seem so funny it felt like a joke. Ben was laughing or smiling, he was serious.

Ben saw the look on Serena's face, as if it was a joke, as if he was a joke. He wasn't going to lie to himself, it makes him angry that Serena was being selfish that she wasn't allowing him to be a father.

"They're just making a joke, Ben. Don't make it so serious." Serena says, picking at her food.

"Maybe you should take things more seriously." Ben replies with a raise in his voice. Mal placed her hand on Ben's, trying to calm him down. It didn't go unnoticed by Ariel and glared at the couple.

"Son, calm down." Adam says to Ben. Ben ignored his father and his girlfriend, staring at Serena who stared back. They both tried to intimidate the other and neither planned to back down.

"I take things serious, when the occasion is necessary for it. I didn't see the need to be serious about a bit of joking. My family likes to joke about this a lot." Serena tells.

"Maybe you don't, but it's different for me—for my family."

"What is all this about, Ben?" Serena asks in frustration. "It can't be a little joke that's getting you riled up—so tell me, why are you suddenly so mad?"

"Has it ever occurred to you that maybe my family wants to be about join in on the laughter? Athena is a part of this family too, so don't you think we want to share things with her and play along?"

"Ben please —"

"No, Mal! You were right. If I wait for Serena to tell the truth, I would be waiting a long time. Athena is just as much a part of me as she is her's. I have the right."

"Is this your doing, little girl?" Ariel glares at Mal. "Poisoning his mind with your venomous words! You should be ashamed of yourself!"

Ariel yells at Mal. No one noticed that Athena had gotten out of chair and buried her face into her mother's lap, covering her ears from the yelling. Mal herself was starting to get angry and glares back a Ariel.

"Ben does have the right as a father and Athena has the right to know. You and your family are the ones being selfish about this whole thing." Mal says loud.

"Shut up, Mal. What the hell do you know about any of this?" Chad piped in.

"Stay out of this, Chad." Ben snaps at his friend. Chad turns to look at Ben and scoffs.

"No, I don't think I will. Your evil girlfriend is insulting my friend and her family, I won't just sit here like an idiot and let this happen."

"None of this is any of your business!" Ben yells at him, standing up from his chair. Chad did the same.

"Well considering I've been more of a father figure in her life than you, I'd say I have every right to intervene." Chad knew that would get to Ben. Ben looked like he was ready to jump him.

"Okay, perhaps we all need to just cal—" Snow White started with a calm voice, but had been interrupted.

"I never even knew when Athena was born until I saw Snow White's blog," Ben says to Serena who was stroking Athena's back, trying to calm her down. "By then a year had already past. I saw photos of her 1st birthday. Those photos were all I had, Serena. They were all my parents had. Do you know how many times I've seen my mom cry because she could be able to hold her grandchild?" Ben motions to Belle, who was know wiping away at her face, trying to hide the red eyes.

"That was the price to pay for refusing to take responsibility." Ariel replies. "You wanted no part in Serena's pregnancy—or have you forgotten? Well I didn't, I'll never forget what you did. Now, neither will Athena." Ariel gave Ben's family a smirk and she stood to grab her things.

"Mom, what did you do?" Melody asks. Ariel looks at Serena as she was holding onto a scared Athena.

"Athena deserves to know who was truly there for her and who are going to break her heart."

"What did you say to my daughter?" Serena muttered, staring at her mother in the eye.

"The truth. She understood it quite quickly, such a smart girl." Ariel says simply.

"Why did you do that?" Serena asks.

"These are the people who abandoned you, starfish. Now they think a few years later they can come back and be a part of your lives, as if they weren't the ones to who caused all these problems. Life won't always be where you say sorry and everything magically returns to the way things were."

"That wasn't your choice to make, I am her mother!" Serena exclaims. Everyone, including Ariel, were taken back by Serena's burst. "Athena is three-years old, do you even know what kind of damage you've done just by telling her."

"I did it because it was for the be—"

"No, you did it because you are so wrapped up in your revenge and showing that Athena is yourself, but she is not!— she is my daughter and I decide what is best." Serena jumped out of her seat and put Athena down to grab their own things. Ben saw that Serena was about to leave. This was his one chance, his only chance. Ben stepped out of his chair and made his way to her daughter. Mal tried to stop hi, but Ben broke free. He kneeled down to Athena, who was trying to hide behind her mother's dress.

"Athena, I am your father." Ben reveals. Everyone stayed silent. Serena stared at Ben was tears leaving her eyes, but Ben only looked at Athena with a small smile.

"Say something, dearest." Belle says softly to her grandchild, hoping something positive might come out of this night.

But no.

Athena started to cry and wrapped her arms around her mother, trying to hide away.

"I hate you!" Athena directed towards Ben. The words hurt a lot, Ben's heart felt like it was about to break. Serena scooped up Athena in her arms and walking around Ben, trying to get to the door.

"No. NO! You do not get to do this! I have a right to be in her life." Ben screams, his own tears falling out as well. Serena turns around so quickly and stomped back towards Ben. She was angry. At her mother, at Mal, at Ben... at herself. Serena pushed Ben back.

"No, Ben. You don't get it. You have no right. You LOST your rights the minute you decided to abandoned us. You think your life was gonna be difficult with a baby? What about me? Did you think I planned to get pregnant? Did you think I wanted my life to be like this? Everyday I waited for you to change your mind, to come back and tell me that I wasn't alone, but you never came. I was alone and afraid." Serena whispered at the end. The room stayed silent. Serena straighten up and glares at Ben.
"You have no right."

HEY, A LITTLE HEARTBREAKING AIN'T THAT BAD, RIGHT?

I WAS IN A HURRY SO I'M SORRY FOR ERRORS.