Chapter Twenty Nine - Kinsley

Kinsley ~

Kinsley ~

I woke in Dane's bed with Tyson having left in the middle of the night to deal with a security issue and I knew better than to ask what it was. To be honest I didn't want to know.

I needed to get some painting done that day and had to skip breakfast, needing Dane to drop me off at my apartment earlier than usual.

Dane was always accommodating and willing to take me anywhere I needed to go. We headed down the front steps toward Dane's car when my eyes settled on Tysons car and motorcycle still parked in the garage.

I thought Tyson left..

I motioned toward the vehicles, giving Dane a confused look.

"I thought you said Tyson was working?"

"He is working." Dane said flatly.

"Where? His car is still here. So is his bike."

Dane's expression hardened and he kissed my forehead as he passed me, opening the passenger door for me.

"He's in the basement." Dane said, his voice laced with steel as he maintained eye contact with me, willing me to understand and not ask any more questions.

Tyson's torturing someone in the basement...

I swallowed hard and settled into the passenger seat, trying to school my expression, knowing that Tyson didn't kill people without cause.

Dane dropped me off at my apartment, walking me up to my door with a deep scowl on his face. He tightened his hold around my waist as we passed several of my neighbors who were less than model citizens.

"You ever consider moving?" Dane asked, keeping his eyes glued to the men that we had passed in the parking lot.

"It's all I can afford." I said softly.

"You could always move in with us." He said, giving me a panty dropping smile before he pulled me in and dropped his mouth onto mine.

"Think about it." He said, planting one last small kiss on the tip of my nose.

"Okay." I hummed in return, still high off of his kiss and wrapped up in his scent.

Closing the door behind him, I changed clothes and tied my hair up, full of inspiration and ready to paint all day in my makeshift studio next door.

My whole world was so vibrant and colorful, more colorful and bright than it had ever been and it came through in my work. The palettes I used were warm and I felt my heart was smiling as my brush danced across the canvas. It was the happiest I'd been in a very long time and that happiness was reflected in my paintings. I spent hours in my little studio smiling like an idiot as I worked until heard male voices outside my apartment door.

I pulled one of my earbuds out and shut off my music as I listened through the silence and jumped when a loud bang echoed through the quiet air and shook the walls.