05: tears

DINNERS WITH MY family were always unpleasant

I was forced to listen to Claud rave about made-up accomplishments at the community college he was attending, while my parents fawned over him like he was royalty of some sort.

Fortunately, they hardly spared so much as a glance my way, because otherwise, they'd probably criticize the way I breathe.

Today, however, even as we sat down to eat- they looked straight at me. And almost immediately, I knew that whatever they were going to say wasn't going to be pretty.

"Ophelia," my father begins, "There's something important that we've got to discuss with you."

I set my fork and spoon down, feeling my appetite die down almost instantly.

"What's the mute got herself into, this time?" I hear Claud say jokingly. My parents, as usual, don't acknowledge it at all, their attention never wavering from me.

"Listen, honey," my mum says, and the term of endearment has my eyes widening in surprise, "you're turning eighteen in about two weeks, aren't you?"

Next week, actually. I don't bother correcting her as I nod.

They exchange glances.

"We think..." my dad clears his throat uncomfortably, "that it's time you start doing things on your own."

I look between the both of them confused.

"We think you should be more independent," my mum says slowly- looking at her hands, "we've already paid for your whole senior year, and we've made you a bank account. There's enough money there to last you a few months on your own, so you're going to have to get a job for everything after that."

I still can't seem to figure out where they were going with it. Not until my dad speaks again.

"We'll give you a week after your birthday. You can find yourself a place- I'm sure rent is cheap, and you can start managing things on your own without us."

My heart drops.

As silence falls across the dining room- I can only stare blankly at my empty dinner plate trying to figure out if I heard that right.

I don't even notice that I'm holding my breath until I realize that a part of that uncomfortable, suffocating feeling inside me isn't just something that's emotional.

I look up at them, to see them watching me expectantly.

I know they've worded this very carefully and politely to make it sound like they're doing me a favor, and as if they're doing it for my own good.

But I can see right through it.

"You're kicking me out?" I whisper finally.

My parents exchange glances again, while Claud looks like he's trying not to laugh. "Kicking out is a harsh term-"