II | Caren

The Maui scenery out on this balcony was breathtaking

               The Maui scenery out on this balcony was breathtaking. It offered me the finest view of coastline and Pacific Ocean. The sun rays down on me, as I sat out donning the hotel provided robe. I could hear footsteps coming my way before a breakfast tray was placed on the round table and my gaze cruised up the tattooed arm and dark brown eyes.

               "Good morning, baby." His deep, resonated voice rang in my ears.

               I smiled as I leaned up, pulling my feed-in braids to hang over my right shoulder. "We talked about you calling me baby, Xavier."

               "My apologies. It's a habit."

               Xavier joined me at the table while I reached for a croissant and took a bite of it. "This romantic ain't it?"

               I narrowed my eyes at him. "We're only here because we celebrated Calen's fourth birthday. Speaking of are they still asleep?"

               "Knocked out." He said, eating on the breakfast.

               I buttered my toast. "Did you talk to your therapist today?"

               Every since our session six months ago, I chose to stay in our marriage under the condition that he received therapy to work on himself and he has been following through with the promise. Although we're still legally married, we live separately and there's been no sexual acts of any kind between us two. I set boundaries.

               I could've and should've went through with the divorce after everything he put me through. But I had another chance to give him in my heart and for the first time Xavier's actually putting in the effort to show me he's working on change. Xavier would've never agreed to therapy but when he recognized how much past trauma he's been through and how it affected us, he was open to it. And for the passed six months a very eminent therapist in Dallas, Dale Harrison, guided Xavier into putting everything into prospective for him, and it helped more that Dale's a Black man himself.

               "I did," Xavier ate on his breakfast. "He want me to finally confront my parents and express to 'em how much my childhood affects me."

               "That sounds nice, if you had regular parents." I picked up the glass of orange juice, "They will dismiss your feelings how they always do and you'll let it happen as always."

               "That's why I want you there with me."

               I nearly choked on the OJ hearing that come out his mouth. "Absolutely not."