Chapter 27 - A Surprise Guest?

Tyson had gotten to know how much of a light sleeper Kai was in his week-long morning stay with him. Without the usage of medication, he could barely sleep for two hours straight. Even the pettiest sounds like that of a spoon falling to the ground could wake him up instantly. Even when injured, Kai's reflexes were so good that he had sat up upright the first few times, wincing to himself in pain the next second. 

This had compelled Tyson to stay out of the room most of the time, sitting just in front of the door, keeping an eye on Kai. After a lot of observation, he had learnt the difference between a sleeping Kai and that of a Kai pretending to be asleep, for Kai was capable of sitting still for hours together.

Yet, the stance in which he found Kai wasn't either of those. One side of the curtain was only half drawn, the blanket was unevenly drawn till his thighs, he was slumped on his stomach as though he had just collapsed.

Tentatively, Tyson nudged Kai's right arm, hoping to meet those furious crimson eyes. "Kai?" But Kai didn't move. He felt like dead weight, breathing heavily.

Tyson panicked. He almost screamed. "Kai! You okay? Wake up!!"

******

 Ray and Max were on their feet at once. "What's wrong Ty?" They asked urgently. But Tyson could barely form the words when a nurse entered the room, shortly followed by Hillary.

The nurse politely asked all of them to leave and wait in the lobby. But none of them listened. They all silently stood in the corridor just outside the door, the very place where the bey-battle took place minutes ago.

None of them talked. After a long time, or so thought Tyson, when it has taken only fifteen minutes, the nurse came out, poker faced.

"Is it true that you let the patient inside exert himself physically? Let him out of the room?"

Max and Ray glance at each other guiltily. That must have been enough of an answer for the nurse to start her rant. "What were you boys thinking?! He could have seriously hurt himself. Do you have the slightest idea about what could happen if the stitches had come out completely? The boy has enough complications as it is, being such a light sleeper, to hinder his healing. Last warning to both of you. If you break this rule one more time, I'll make sure both of your visiting cards are blacklisted." Max and Ray nodded silently. 

Then she turned to Tyson and Hillary, her expression softening instantly. She must have apparently assumed that these two had nothing to do with it, and Max didn't bother correcting her. "Nothing to worry, dear. Your friend will be fine. He must have withstood a lot of pain, but I don't think it would leave a permanent damage. But he'll have to rest a lot from now on." And on turning towards Hillary, she said,"Thank goodness the wound had just started opening. You did the right thing by calling for me, dear." patting her shoulder.

"And you boy, come with me. That cut looks real nasty." Tyson, who's face had lost all its colour by then, just numbly nodded before following her, without a glance towards the others.

Max and Ray collectively sigh in relief. "Kai really did give us a scare for a moment there." Ray said, smiling tentatively. "The Blade Breakers would really be goners without you,-" Max said, genuine gratitude in his voice. "And the way you took control of the situation was just awesome!!" he exclaimed. 

Hillary just shrugged, a smile slightly tugging at her lips. But then it disappeared. 

She felt conflicted at the moment. She really wanted to know what had happened here, before she had come. But the timing felt terrible. And she also felt that she should start keeping her distance from the team's business. Starting from now.