Twenty-Seven: The Tonight Show

Quick Note: Apparently, I need to include this at the beginning of this chapter because people have trouble thinking through the important things - but something that Greta reveals in this chapter IS NOT the sole reason for her decision to run away. 

Unfortunately, with reflection on how I've written this story, I have realized that the way things are worded, puts a little too much emphasis on this one aspect. So, PLEASE remember it is a culmination of things. Also, before you comment "that's it?" really take a moment and think about the circumstances, and the pressure put behind it, and the age. 

Plus, if you comment "that's it?" it's almost guaranteed that I will delete it. 

Alright, thanks! Enjoy

...

The fan in our hotel room is broken. Harry's tried to assure me that he's "mechanically inclined" but I've concluded that either A. he's a liar or B. he's purposely made sure the air conditioning doesn't work like it's supposed to.

Normally I wouldn't find this to be that big of an issue because we only spend a couple hours in a room before we move onto the next one, only every once in a while staying in one more than a day. But tonight is particularly hot even with summer slowly dwindling away. Not much is improving the situation either because even after a very cold shower I'm back to sweating within a matter of minutes.

We've tried to call the front desk but they're the definition of unhelpful. The only thing to help we've gotten form them is hearing that they are booked for the night so they can't move us to another room and the mechanic won't be here until the morning. Harry's done his best to bang on the machine without much success, and of course this is one of the few places we've stayed in that doesn't have a pool.

We got in kind of late after eating dinner and picked the first place that looked clean, hoping to call it an early night. It was clear though as soon as we walked into our sauna of a room that sleep wouldn't be happening in the near future.

After a few minutes of discussion, trying to decide if we should stay in this hell of a room or go somewhere else for the night we decided to stay put.

Two cold showers later and we're in the room with the majority of the lights off and TV on, watching The Tonight Show in our underwear. Well, technically Harry's the only one fully in his underwear because I am wearing a shirt too. But it was obvious that a minimal amount of clothing would be the only way to survive.

Harry's on the bed above me, his legs on either side of my shoulders and I'm on the ground with my legs crossed and the carpet itching at my skin. His hands are in my hair, pulling wet strands back as he twists them together, slowly containing my mess of wet curls into two braided pig tails.

"Why do I find Jimmy Fallon in a suit so attractive?" I ask, leaning my head onto Harry's leg. He laughs quietly and then nudges my head back up, pulling tightly at my hair as he continues to braid.

"Don't know," he breathes out, his fingers moving slowly. "Isn't that a thing?"

"Actually I don't think it's the suit," I change my mind. "He pulls it off very well, but I think it's more the fact that he's just super talented. And the face he makes when he talks about his kids... and how they have old lady names."

"Please go on," Harry says sarcastically above me, but I can tell he doesn't really mind. "I love hearing my girlfriend has a crush on another man, especially when he's twice her age with a family."

"Hey," I lean my head back to see Harry smiling at me, showing that this is yet another one of his games. "I did not say I have a crush on him, just innocent admiration... he's not exactly my type."