Chapter Forty Three

Nylah felt nothing but pain. Physical and mental. She immediately assumed that Thanos had hit her so hard that she was knocked out, as she could still feel the pain of his punch throbbing in her head. It was a miracle that she had not died, really. The infected wound on her leg only added to the pain she felt, and even the simple slight movement of moving her toes was enough to shoot pain all up her entire leg – which was probably not the best sign. Mentally, she was incredibly sad. She was still holding onto the hope of seeing Loki in her sleep, but he never showed up. In the darkness that surrounded her when her body fell against the sand, she never saw his green light.

She was hoping that once she was fully awake, that she would find that she had been dreaming the entire time. Perhaps she had fallen asleep as soon as she arrived home to Asgard, and perhaps none of this ever happened. Her father and Loki never died, Hela was never real, and her home was not destroyed. That she never lost half of her people, nor was she ever separated from her only living relative in the process. She was not on a completely different planet, fighting to save the entire universe and a specific brown-eyed boy. This was all a really bad dream, and when she would wake, she would find herself in her bedroom on Asgard.

Perhaps Thor carried her to her bedroom, laying her against the baby blue silky bedsheets with the warm sun rays peaking in through the large windows. The sounds of birds chirping, and the laughter of her people would eventually wake her, but it would be soothing. She would pull back her blankets with a yawn as her eyes open, her arms stretching above her head as she lazily made her way out of her bed. She would wander down the corridors of her home until she would reach the dining room, where the table would be decorated and stocked with the most delicious foods as a celebration of Thor arriving home. Loki would be sitting at the table reluctantly, but he would not help but smile whenever Thor told a stupid joke.

But unfortunately, the reality she wanted so bad, was nothing but the dream. Instead of birds and laughter waking her from her slumber, it was the harsh wind on Titan hitting her skin and the deathly silence of her friends that woke her. When her eyes finally snapped open, she did not find her marbled ceiling, but she found a very distraught Peter Parker, who's arms were wrapped tightly around her body. His brown eyes were bloodshot, and his cheeks were rosy and stained with tears until a look of relief washed over his face, pulling her body closer to her own.

"Oh God, Ny... you're okay." Peter's hands shook against her as they desperately held onto her.

"He only knocked me down for a second." Nylah replied as she sat herself up, her back still leaning against the biceps that supported her back. She lifted her hands to hold either side of Peter's face, gently wiping away the stray tears.

Her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion when her eyes found Tony standing off to the side away from the young couple, with a look she had never seen on the man before. Defeat. Tony avoided her eyes, giving her no other option but to look to the rest of the group. Doctor Strange had been leaning his back against a rock, staring down at his feet with no hope glinting in his eyes. Nylah's eyes moved their attention to the new friends she had made, only to find that they looked just as defeated as Stephen and Tony. Nylah turned her face back to Peter, her heart sinking into her chest.

"I..." Nylah's hands slowly left Peter's face as she began to piece together what might have happened – the reality she fought so hard to avoid. "Where is he?"

"Back home, I think. He's..." Peter let out a saddened sigh before he continued. "He's gone to get the last stone."

Nylah felt her insides twist as she stared at Peter in discomfort. They could not have lost. If the humans on Midgard do not ensure that Thanos fails at getting that stone – they, along with half of the universe, are done. How could they have lost? She could have sworn they were so close to winning.