Chapter 34

Aaron POV

"So we'll all set?" I ask my father after going over the attack plan for the hunter compound with him again.

My anger from before is still near the surface as I try to focus on killing the doctor soon. He tortured my mate for years. Cut into her over and over again. He is not allowed to live.

"Yes, I'll send the scouts out tonight. Once they find the base and get a layout with the numbers, you will bring the warriors."

"Me?" I lean back slightly, shocked my father won't be the one leading us.

His lips lift up in a smirk, "Yes, you."

"But-" my response is cut off.

"Son, this isn't about rescuing shifters or even hunting down hunters who have been hurting our kind. This is about your mate. You will lead our pack warriors because you are their alpha. I might not have passed down the title, but they know. You are level headed and strong. You care about everyone in the pack and you will protect them."

"Thank you, Alpha," I smile as the feeling of acceptance washing over me. My father and I have had these discussions before about being ready to become the alpha and what taking up the mantle would mean, but this is different. This feels like he has already stepped down and its my turn to step up.

"You are the alpha now, Aaron," he says as he places his hand on top of my shoulders. I feel the strength and power rush through the touch as my wolf stands to attention to receive it.

"I will protect the pack. I will protect our home. I will protect my mate," I vow, "I will make you proud to be Alpha."

His smile widens at that, "I know you will and I look forward watching you become the leader I know you are, Alpha Aaron."

"Thank you, Alpha James."

The rush of acceptance flows over the pack bond as each one of the pack feel the shift in power.

I am alpha now.

*****

Walking into the house a few hours later, I listen out to hear the sound of my mate laughing in the kitchen. My smile gets wider as the music reaches my ears.

I've missed her laugh so much during the weeks she shut down. To hear her giggle, to hear her happy, is everything I need.

I walk to the back of the house and into the kitchen to see my mate cooking with my mom. Sensing me, her eyes look up and connect with mine.

"Aaron," she breathes out.

"Hey, angel."

She runs around the counter and jumps into my open arms. I lift her up and tighten my arms around her body.

I missed you, her voice rings out over our bond.

I missed you too, I lean forward into her neck and place a soft kiss there.

After a few seconds, she leans back. Her eyes scan over me before hovering over my eyes, Are you okay?

"I'm fine, angel. Promise."

She nods her head in acceptance and leans her body into mine to place her head against my shoulder.

"Welcome home, alpha," my mom says. I was so wrapped in my girl, I almost forgot that she was here.

Aaliyah slowly slides down my body as I set her back onto the floor, but I keep my arms wrapped around her.

"Hi mom."

"Wait, alpha? Is that what I felt?" Aaliyah looks up at me in wonder.

"My father stepped down."

"You're the alpha?"

"Yes," I confirm before leaning down to her, Are you okay with that?

She bites her lip as she thinks over her answer, It's what you were born to be.

"Thank you, angel," I kiss her quickly, "It won't be official until we hold the ceremony on the next full moon, though."

Looking back to my mom, I see her going back to working on cooking, "Thank you for looking after Aaliyah today."

She nods and Aaliyah squeezes me tighter, "I like your mom."

I chuckle at that. I'm so happy that she does. I love that she has my mom to open up to now, and that she is willing to talk to her.

"Dinner will be ready in about ten minutes," Aaliyah says, "I asked your mom to join us."

"I would love that," I kiss her again, "I have to go make a phone call."

"Okay," she squeezes me and leans on her tip toes to kiss my jaw before releasing me.

Aaliyah goes back to helping my mom as I head to my office. Walking into the room, I pull out my phone and call the only person I know who can help me.

Dialing the number, I sit down into my desk chair and listen to the ringing.

"What?" the voice calls out on the other end.

"Really, Phoenix. Is that how you answer all phone calls?" I laugh into the receiver.

"God damn, Aaron. My daughter has fallen asleep and my soul is final getting some rest since they have both been sick. I don't have time for a social call. What do you want?"

"Dr. Anderson."

I hear shuffling in the background, "Where is he?" he growls lowly. I can feel his lycan's anger even over the phone.

"West Virginia. I could use your help."

He pauses for a moment before he growls again, "When?"

"A few days. We are sending out the scouts today."

"I want his head," he tells me.

Kiba growls at that, "Anderson is mine."

"You don't know what he did."

"Yes I do. I saw it, through my mate's eyes," I say, "You have your soul and a child. You have been able to heal. My mate will continue to be tortured as long as the doctor is alive. His life is mine to end, for her."

I hear him sigh softly, most likely thinking of his own soul.

"I understand how you feel, Aaron, and I will help. But if I see the doctor before you do, I won't hesitate. But I promise I will present his head to your mate for you."

I chuckle slightly, "Fine. I'll send you the coordinates when I get them. Thanks, Phoenix."

Without another word, he hangs up the phone. I lean back into my chair with a sigh. Having a lycan with me to attack the hunters will give us an almost unbeatable edge.

"Aaron?" my angel's voice calls to me from the doorway. I look up to see fear swimming in her eyes.

"How much did you hear?" I ask, knowing it's the only reason there could be to bring that fear to her eyes.

"Anderson?"

I get up quickly and cross the room to bring her into my arms again. She comes easily and wraps herself around me.

"We know where he is. I'm going to kill him."

"What if I don't want you to go?" she questions.

"I would say that I need to. I won't allow you to continue living in fear, my angel. As long as he is alive, you are," I explain to her.

She lifts her chin to rest against my chest so our eyes are connected, "But he will try to hurt you."

"He'll try, but he won't. If he hurts me, he'll hurt you and I won't allow that. I won't allow anyone to hurt you."

"You are going no matter what I say, aren't you?"

I nod my head, "Are you disappointed?"

"No," she shakes her head, "Just promise you'll come back."

"Promise."