"Are we really doing this?"

"Principal Paimon, you have to keep the astrology club open!" Mona begged, hands clasped together. "It's practically my livelihood."

"Paimon wants you to explain, Mona." Mona sighed. She had been over this with the principal of Teyvat High, Paimon, who had a weird quirk, speaking about herself in 3rd person. Whatever. It was no matter to Mona. All she wanted, needed, was to keep her astrology club open.

"I believe the school is devoting too much attention to the Fatui Harbingers, and keeping their parents' allegiance solely on this school and funding it." Mona began. She had researched over and over, prepared for this question.

"Furthermore, the Harbingers are-"

"What the hell are you talking about?" a voice called, grating on Mona's ears. Gritting her teeth, she turned around and faced her sworn enemy.

Scaramouche's eyes glinted in the light, casting shadows across the sharp planes of his face. He had a sharp jawline and lips that were constantly turned upwards in a smirk. He constantly wandered around in in black shorts and sweater, black hair ruffled in a completely annoying manner. Mona supposed he would be attractive, only if Scaramouche's personality was that of a garbage rat. A dead one.

"Something more important and fundamental than whatever you're here for, surely." Mona sniffed, pausing her presentation to Principal Paimon. 

Scaramouche rolled his eyes, crossing his arms. "I'm here because I'm-"

"In trouble, Scaramouche. Mr. Zhongli already called down to tell me." Paimon finished, looking over her glasses at Scaramouche. He frowned, and uncrossed his arms.

"Principal Paimon, it's really nothing, all I did was tell Mr. Zhongli that he had a-"

"Paimon doesn't want to hear it! This is the sixth time you've been in my office this semester, and this semester barely started." Paimon asserted, rifling through her papers. "And personally, Paimon doesn't have time for this sort of thing. If only you were a better student with better grades, like Mona here."

Mona smirked at Scaramouche, glad to be praised by Paimon. Scaramouche huffed and recrossed his arms, turning his head away. 

Latching on to the opportunity, Mona continued her play for more funding for the astrology club. "Thank you, Principal Paimon. Now, as I was saying-"

"Paimon don't want to hear it from you either. Paimon has already told you, the school cannot afford any funding for your astronomy club."

"It's astrology." Mona corrected, trying to hide her disappointment.

"Paimon has a solution to both of your problems, though." Principal Paimon called, crossing her short arms. "Scaramouche, get back here."

"What's the solution?" Scaramouche said, sitting down in the chair next to Mona's. He spread his legs lazily across, draping one arm on the edge of the chair. His knee brushed Mona's, making her flush. Carefully, she scooted further away from Scaramouche. 

"Because Scaramouche needs to bring his grades up, and Mona wants to keep her astrology club open, Paimon proposes a deal between you two."

"I refuse to work with that entitled brat who can't even keep her club open." Scaramouche insisted, crossing his arms. 

"And I refuse to work with that snobby rich kid who is too rich to be smart." Mona huffed, insulted at the idea of working with Scaramouche. They hated each other, and it would never be any different.

"Both of you, shut up and listen to Paimon." Paimon insisted, rubbing her forehead. "Mona can bring Scaramouche's grades up by tutoring him, and Scaramouche can help Mona keep her astrogazing club open."

"Astrology." Mona repeated. "And how would Scaramouche help me keep the astrology club open? He doesn't even know anything about astrology." 

"You can figure it out. If Paimon finds out any of you aren't doing your part, Paimon is going to call both of your parents, and lower both your grades by one letter." Paimon threatened. "Now go. It's lunchtime, and Paimon is hungry for some sticky honey roast." 

Mona rolled her eyes and huffed, but grabbed her bag and left the room. When she was halfway down the hallway, she heard footsteps coming down. Ugh.

"Mona!" Scaramouche called. Mona turned around, ponytails swinging in her fury.

"What do you want?" 

"Your number," Scaramouche answered simply, holding out his phone.

"Why, don't you already have plenty of girls lining up for it?" Mona huffed, irritated that she actually had to follow through with Principal Paimon's plans. 

"Didn't you hear what Principal Paimon said? Or has astronomy rotted your brain with uselessness so you forgot." Scaramouche smirked in that annoying way Mona hated. It filled her brain with incessant buzzing that swooped low in her stomach.

"Are we really doing this?" Mona asked.

"I need to get my grades up, and if your astrophotography club stays open, bonus for you." Scaramouche waved his phone again. "And I need your number so we can communicate."

"Hmph." Mona huffed, annoyed that he had a point. 

"I mean, if there's something else you'd rather be doing with me, I can arrange that too, although I don't know how much educational content we'll be partaking in." Scaramouche smirked lazily, igniting Mona's blood.

"Give me your phone." Mona bit her lip, angry. She grabbed his phone out of his hand, hating the way that their fingers brushed, sending electricity up her fingers. Mona typed her number into his phone, ignoring the urge to poke through his phone.

Mona handed Scaramouche's phone back to him, but was surprised when she caught him gazing at her with a strange openness on his face. 

"I know I'm hot, but it's embarrassing when you stare, Mouche." Mona flicked her hair, a half-smile on her face. 

Scaramouche pushed Mona against the wall so quickly she didn't have time to breath. His forearm was pressed on the side of her head, his other hand fluttering at the waist of her skirt. Mona was forced to tilt her head backwards to keep her eyes on him, her breath hitching.

"Don't call me that," Scaramouche hissed, his violet eyes hard and unforgiving. 

"Why not?" Mona taunted, her own smirk growing. 

"Just don't, or else I won't help you find more members for that astronomy club of yours," Scaramouche said. "And I know you need help."

"It's astrology, asshole." Mona said angrily. She hated how Mona did need his help, otherwise her grades would drop. And Scaramouche's. But she cared less about him.

Scaramouche released her, stepping backwards and lifting his hands in a gesture of innocence. "Whatever you say, astrophotographer,"

He left, sticking his hands into his pockets. Mona huffed and stormed off, her bag swinging angrily.

Mona would not let herself be shown up by a rich, snotty short kid.