Chapter LXX - Amara

This room was simple and dark. Clean lines and minimal clutter gave it a cold, almost clinical, feel and the darkness of midnight shelves and sheets seemed to deepen the melancholic mood that clung to the air.

The God of Mischief, so self assured and strong, sat stoic in the chair by the window, gazing out over the grounds his brother now called home and thought of his days in Asgard; his childhood of realm jumps and friendships forged. He sat with his back to the door and his mind filled with playful laughter that echoed in the distant memories of lifetimes lost and hiding in farmers fields with faces long lost and missed for eternity.

He smiled as her footsteps stilled and the air shifted somehow. He could feel her power, sleeping beneath the surface as she watched him - as she wondered how to speak to him.

"Miss Halsted," he hummed, turning slowly to face her, "I was wondering when you'd come."

Elizabeth smiled as she leant against the wall, her eyes following the already yellowing bruises of his healing face.

"Loki."

He turned from her, gesturing to the open seat beside his, positioned to face over the compound, and turned his attention back to the shift of trees and the ripple of the breeze breathing life over the scene around them. She moved with ease and comfort, sitting beside him like old friends after a long time separated and Loki felt warmth rise in his chest.

"I was wondering if I could ask about her?" She looked only at him.

Loki laughed and she noted the way his smile softened his face. His eyes brightened and his lips curled up in a way that suggested he was truly thinking; not plotting, not planning, just remembering.

"You saved my life Elizabeth." He glanced towards her and honesty wrote itself across his eyes. "I am in debt to you. You may ask any questions you have. I promise to answer them all."

Elizabeth leant forwards, her eyes sinking into the emerald of his as she took his hand and shifted in her chair.

"I guess," she began, her voice wavering as she tried to find the right words, "I guess I just wanted to know who she was; why she was important to you. If that's okay?"

Loki squeezed her hand gently as he closed his eyes and leant back in his seat. His mind flooded with her hair; the soft, long brown of it, blowing in the breeze as she ran from him. It flooded with her laughter and the warmth of her voice as she called out for him to catch her. The peels of her giggles danced in the recesses of his mind, wrapping around old oak trees and slipping through stalks of barley as he frolicked in childish pleasures with the girl with the brilliant brown eyes.

His voice was a whisper; sad and nostalgic and filled with a deep adoration.

"Centuries ago when the Bifrost was an open pathway between Midgard and Asgard, Thor and I would come here often." He felt the soft brush of her thumb against his knuckles as she listened closely. "We were just children and we enjoyed the games the Midgardian's would play."

He opened his eyes and gazed out over the grounds once more, the beautiful emerald green irises tracing the paths of figures unseen across the open spaces before him.

"There was a girl, her name was Amara and she was both beautiful and strong. As children we became fast friends. She saw me for who I was, who I truly am, and celebrated it rather than feared it. As we grew, so did our friendship. I loved her. I loved her dearly."

Elizabeth sighed as she watched the silver of sadness wrap around him and he took a deep breath.

"I loved her, but we age differently to you mortals, and as time went on Amara grew older, she grew to need more than I could give her and I knew it pained her. It pained her that I could not grow old with her so I left Midgard behind me and I left her."