Pt 4 Chapter 23 - A wonderful reception

Y/n's POV

Everyone gathered in the garden, it was still light however as the sun fell idly beyond the horizon it cast a golden glow over the area. Natasha's hair shone in the late afternoon sun.

"To the happy couple!" Steve raised his glass.

"To the happy couple!" Everyone repeated, and the chime of glasses tapping rang through the garden.

I was utterly delighted and giddy with happiness as I turned to look at my wife. She was gorgeous and the best thing to have ever happened to me. I genuinely couldn't believe my luck. On that dreadful evening back in 2016 where I received a kind invitation from a stranger I would never have imagined I would be standing there five years later with an incredible family, loving wife and a wonderful little daughter.

Natasha had Harriet in her arms and was smiling at her with the widest of grins. It made me chuckle how gorgeous they were, green eyes and red hair that gleamed under the golden light.

Tony set up the speakers as everyone gathered around us. It was time for our first dance. Nat passed Haz to Rhodey who held her softly in his arms.

Natasha turned to me, her eyes searching over me.

"Mrs Romanoff, would you do me the pleasure of letting me have this first dance with you?" Natasha said in a very unlike Natasha sort of way. She held out her hand to me, her rings catching my eye. I took a deep breath and took her hand. Our fingers intertwined as they had so often done before. Like a lock and key, they fit perfectly together. The music slowly began to drift into our ears as we began to sway.

"Tightrope" began to play. We had chosen it because it was a song we had danced to on the rooftop of the compound, in the rain to dance away the blues. So, it one felt fitting to share our first dance to the song that brought back such happy memories.

Our feet moved to the familiar rhythm of the song as Natasha's hand held the small of my back. She pulled me closer and looked into my eyes. I felt giddy as she held her gaze. It was like everyone else faded away as my focus was purely on my wife. I didn't even need to try as we danced, it felt so natural.

"I can't wait for later." Nat thought to me.

"What about later?"

"Our wedding night Y/n. Just think about that."

"Oh." I felt myself smile even wider and she winked at me.

Slowly the music slowed and everyone around us began to clap. We took a playful bow. Bruce wheeled out the cake and we moved to get ready to cut it. Pepper had been taking videos and was now ready to film the cutting of the cake. Natasha stood behind me, her hands on mine as I picked up the knife. She looked over my shoulder as we pushed the knife through the top layer of the gorgeously decorated cake. We pulled out the slice and placed it on the plate. Natasha took a fork and picked up a bite size piece, she raised an eyebrow as she put it in my mouth. It was sweet and delicious. I did the same for her, however my hands were shaking a little so I ended up getting buttercream on her chin. She let out a laugh, a wonderful laugh that radiated just how happy she was.

"Sorry!" I giggled, wiping it off of her nose. She fed a little bit to Harriet and I began to cut slices ready for everyone after we had had the main meal. We had decided to keep it low key and just do a nice buffet which Pepper had helped to organise. One at a time people returned to the kitchen to fill their plates before taking a seat around the outdoor table.

As the light dimmed, pretty fairy lights lit up the garden. Once everyone stood up I readied myself to say the little speech I had prepared. However, as I stood, so did Nat.

"Oh, you go first." I said, feeling the hot blush come to my cheeks.

"Okay, so before we get started on the gorgeous looking food I just wanted to say a few words. First off is thank you, thank you Y/n for being the best thing that has ever happened to me. You changed my life and taught me to bring down my walls for the first time in my life. And because of that I will forever be thankful. You are my song, the rhythm my heart beats to and I would never have imagined when you walked through the doors of the compound for the first time that I would ever have fallen so hard for you. Never did I think you would give me the family I always wanted. But here were are. You're the best mother and I'm sure you'll be the best wife a girl could ask for. I never thought I would be able to marry my best friend, but I couldn't be happier that you are by my side. "

She sat back down and I gave her a kiss on the cheek before standing up myself.

"When I pictured myself on my wedding day as a child I didn't think I would be marrying such an incredible person. You're so brave and caring but most importantly you're one of the sweetest people I know. You'd put your life on the line to protect any of us and I don't think I'll ever be able to make up for how much you've saved me these past 5 years. Whether it's in a fight or not, you're always by my side through thick and thin. So as we both know, we'll go to the end of the earth together no matter what. I think that leap of faith went pretty well didn't it?"

She nodded and I could see the tears in her eyes. Pepper had tears running down her face and Steve looked like he could burst with pride.

"Can we eat now?" Rhodey piped up.

"Yes, yes. Go on then." Natasha laughed. Everyone dove straight into their meal and silence fell over the garden. The only sound was the gentles chirp of birds and the sound of forks on china plates.

After devouring more food than we expected and enjoying the slices of cake we were ready to drink and dance and enjoy our evening. Pepper put the girls to bed for us and we hit the dance floor. The music was happy and wonderful as everyone began to bust out their best moves.

Steve was surprisingly better than Tony's wedding although he had drunk more champagne than last time. Tony was sort of drunk as I had expected and he and Steve were having a competition as to who could dance to "moves like jagger" the best. Personally I thought Tony was more fluent with his hips but Nat gave Steve's points for creativity as he performed some unusual dance moves.

Bruce and Rhodey were chatting over a pint of beer. Pepper returned from putting the girl down as we looked out across the garden as the sun set.

"Congratulations girls." She smiled at us. We both gave her a big hug.

"Thanks for helping to get it all ready Pep." I said.

"Oh, no problem. You two are so perfect together and I wanted you to have the day you deserved."

"It's been incredible."

"It's only just gotten started." Pepper replied with a smirk on her face. Natasha looked at me and once again her eyes searched over me again. Although this time her eyes were hungrier, more in need of what was waiting once the reception was over. Pepper went to dance with Tony and left Nat and I alone.

"Well, I guess we're married now. It's crazy."

"I know, it doesn't feel real." Nat replied. Her gaze became softer and she carefully took hold of my hands.

"I will always protect you." She whispered.

"And I'll always be here for you Darling, for whatever you need me for."

Her hands moved to cup my face and she pulled me into a sweet kiss. I could have melted, or taken her up to bed at that very moment. But instead I enjoyed every second of the kiss and pulled away feeling completely and utterly smitten.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that the chapter is short but I want the next one to be on it's own ;)

I hope everyone has a good day, you're all amazing <3