Surrender

Greg's POV

Actor Gregory Grayson hospitalized for alcohol related accident.

I read the headline as the anchor reads out a bunch of random details: the name of the club, the date, the eyewitness accounts. Then it's mentioned I woke up, and that reportedly I will make a quick recovery. 

My manager comes into the room and rushes for the remote at my bedside as soon as he catches glimpse of the T.V. screen. He sets it down on the other side of the room, out of my reach. 

"What's this bullshit?" I ask him. 

"It's the news. You know how it is. They just talk about whatever," he shrugs it off. 

"But you're not going to clarify things?"

"I did. I told them you're fine now."

"I mean about the incident. They said I was aggressive and violent."

"Listen, Grayson. There were a lot of people there. Word got out. I can't do anything about it."

"What about that shitbag?"

"The producer is letting you off easy. He's still offering you a spot on his movie as long as you cooperate."

"Cooperate?"

"Listen, Grayson. This will blow over after a while, and then we can get back to whatever we were doing. It's not like this small thing will ruin your career or anything. You're already too popular. Your fans won't give a shit after a while. Some of them probably don't give a shit right now."

"You're saying he wants me to take the blow?"

"Well, yeah. But it's only a small one to your reputation at most. Being blacklisted from his films and all of his producer friends will be even worse. Trust me on this."

"He can fuck off with his fucking movies. Did you not see how he forces himself on women?"

"It was a misunderstanding. Women always come onto him, so he's just used to being a little flirty-"

"Are you excusing his behavior?"

"I'm not. I'm just saying it was a misunderstanding. Besides, you're fine now."

I feel my face get hot and I stop for a moment to breathe in. 

"It's a good thing the tiny coma didn't mess with your mobility. We need to start shooting as soon as possible. I've got another project lined up-" 

"I'm not doing it," I put it simply. 

"You're not doing it?" he scoffs. "Are you trying to ruin your career? This movie is what is going to give people something else to talk about."

"I'm fucking tired. I don't want to."

He heaves in, but his breath cuts short and suddenly, his palm flies down onto the table. 

"I FUCKING MADE YOU! DON'T FORGET-" 

A knock at the door interrupts him. 

"Come in," he grumbles. 

The door slowly creaks open and Beatrice's head pops in. She cautiously looks from me to my manager before walking in. 

"We'll discuss this later," he sighs, leaving in a rush and brushing past Beatrice. 

She waits until the door closes behind her to approach me. 

"I'm sorry," is the first thing she says to me, her hang hanging in front of her.