17. If Only

Angelina didn't mean to eavesdrop but she couldn't ignore the conversation happening below her window settee. The minute she spotted Mason, she should've ducked and ignored his private conversation with Tamsyn but she didn't.

It was only mid-afternoon and just like any other day, she avoided coming out of her room, opting to stay behind the doors in her temporary abode.

She hadn't done much aside from call Leo.

The business card taunted her on the nightstand endlessly throughout the day. After snacking on some apple slices and peanut butter, she plucked the card wedged beneath the lampshade and memorised the numbers. She grabbed her phone and quickly dialled the digits without thinking much about it.

The phone rang as her heart pounded against her ribcage.

After a few seconds, a voice she recognised as Leo's low one picked up. She gripped her phone tightly, willing herself to sound relaxed, seductive even. She wanted Leo to think she wouldn't mind seeing him again. She wanted to personally assess Leo in closer proximity. The man looked like he had a mountain of secrets,

"Hello?" He sounded impatient.

"Hi." She replied.

The line went silent and she wondered briefly if he had hung up on her.

"Hello?" She tried again.

"The woman from the club." Leo replied in a pleased tone. She didn't mistake his tone. For some reason, he was drawn to her. They'd only shared a few words but it seemed like Leo Riccardo wanted her. "You have forgotten to tell me your name." He purred.

Angelina toyed with the card between her fingers. She hadn't forgotten. She intentionally hadn't given it to him. "A shame."

"One we must rectify here and now. What is the name of the beautiful woman in black who had plagued my dreams each night?"

Angelina was genuinely affronted she hadn't been given a leading role in his nightmares.

Angelina debated whether she should share her name. It wasn't like he could track her down. She was pretty good at keeping herself out of the spotlight and assuming another persona if the situation insisted. "My name is Angie." She said, "You can call me Angie."

Another pleased sound met her ear. "Yes. Angie. Of course."

"I want to see you again." Angelina said breathily into the line, hoping she sounded anything similar to the sex bomb she envisioned herself to be on some days. If Rosie saw her now, she'd be laughing her ass off.

"I'm free this weekend. I'll send for someone to get you."

"I'll meet you at the destination. Give me a place and I'll see you there."

"Angie, I'm a man. I must pick you up."

"Leo." She purred, cringing at the way her voice sounded abnormal even to her own ears, "Let me do this. I want to put effort into myself when I see you. I'll need time. You'll be waiting too long if you pick me up."

Leo relented, hesitating. "Ok Angie. I'll let this go this once."

"Thank you Leo. Send me the details and I'll come to you."

"Oh, you'll be coming for sure." Leo whispered.

Angelina replied with a low raspy chuckle. However, as soon as the line beeped, she clucked her tongue, placing her phone down upon her nightstand. "Leo, you're one sick man."

At least she had something to do on the weekend.

Now, she was presently watching the ex-couple through the gap between her curtains. She felt like a Peeping Tom but she was still wary being among the Silver Dawn Pack. If their conversation revealed something that could be detrimental to her, or to anyone else she held dear, she needed to know.