Chapter 19

JASPER'S POV:

The thought of staying here for the rest of my youth was beginning to haunt me even more than it did before. When I spoke to my brother the other day he asked if I had made any friends in the long while I've been here, subtly suggesting that it wasn't all that bad, and I would be home in no time. He thinks this is summer camp – but I can't entirely fault him for his naiveness. Our father-figure more than likely told him what a great place I was sent to for my benefit.

Despite how hopeless I thought the idea was, the very concept of making friends was beginning to resonate with me due to my ebbing hope of returning home. Throughout the duration of most of my stays, I've always kept to myself and never got too close to any individual. The very first time I was sent here, for instance, I managed to make a pretty good close group of friends. Our personalities meshed well together, and we helped each other get through the tedious and tormenting days here at Braxton...but after each one began to leave the Academy, our friendship was left with the remainder of us. Before I knew it, I was the last one. Constantly in and out.

Of course, we'll call you, we're buddies. Of course. This is what happens when they get home; they will call you the first time, you'll talk awkwardly, make more plans to call but then cancel them or just never return the call because it only took that one phone call for you both to realize you don't have anything in common anymore. None of us here are friends, we're merely band aids and once we're removed all we are to each other are scars. Nothing but reminders of this place and no one wants that.

It's the most absolute social construct you learn here at the Academy. Assuming you've been here for a few months. Anyhow, in my experience it will keep you from finding trouble. I can do enough of that on my own, I don't really need anyone's help in doing so...but I'd be lying to myself if I said it wasn't lonely. The most aggravating aspect of it was that when they would leave, they'd be leaving me behind. And if I were to leave, well I'd know it would only be a short amount of time before I'd have to come back.

Naomi was the only person I returned phone calls to whenever I was at home.

NAOMI'S POV:

Tonight, everyone would be down in the lounge near the main lobby for movie night. The movie sounded interesting, but in all honesty, I could use a break from large crowds right now. Somehow the word about my book club with Mr. Davis has gotten out and now everyone is treating me differently because they think I'm getting special treatment. They're all angry with my situation, thinking it entirely unfair. Consequently, I've been getting different looks, different responses, and attitudes from the other students. Their concerns would be legit if they were thorough. It's amazing how they can hold such resentment towards me since I'm receiving some form of compensation, which I do have with my personal relationship with Mr. Davis, for my loss when they are not granted the same, despite their different circumstances. My family deserted me for Christ's sake.

Upon climbing the stairs to the boys' corridor, I could vaguely see Jasper sitting on the windowsill. He was staring intensely out at the vocal night as the breeze had everything in its path rapidly blowing. I had never seen him look so stiff and uncomfortable like he did tonight. Much like myself, he was in his pajamas which was just a simple white t-shirt with a pair of plaid bottoms that stretched below his ankles. There was hardly any indication that he knew I was there, or that he even wanted to be bothered right now but I had to at least try. He always made me feel better and I wanted to return that. Somehow.

"Hey." He said plainly after I assumed the wooden chair sitting across from the window.

"Hi, what're you doing out here by yourself?" I knew it was a pointless question, but I wasn't sure of anything else to say to jump start our conversation.