35

Chapter Thirty-Five

The next day, all I could think about was going to the carnival with Logan. It seemed as if the minutes wouldn't go by fast enough, like they were just sitting around, with no care in the world. The closer it got to four o'clock, the less it felt like time was actually passing by.

With my leg bouncing up and down and my fingers drumming on the desk, I impatiently waited for the clock to hit the 4:05 mark. While the teacher rambled on about the essay that was due Monday, I kept my eyes glued to the clock.

4:03.

Come on.

4:04.

Come on.

4:05.

I jumped out of my seat just as the bell rang and rushed to be the first to leave the classroom. Pushing through all the students, I quickly made my way to my locker and swung it open to shove my books in. I grabbed my bag and pushed the strap onto my shoulder and turning around to walk down the hallway, but before I could make it out, someone walked by and shoved my shoulder out of the way, knocking my bag down to the floor.

I looked up in time to see Kacey strut off, not even bothering to muster up an I'm sorry or excuse me. Instead, she simply turned around to give me a cold stare and then continued to walk away.

Walking past her was Logan, who had seen what happened. He frowned and his eyes followed her for a second before looking back to me and walking over to help.

"Are you alright?" He asked, his eyes softening.

I gave him a grateful smile and nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine."

We both bent down to pick up the few things that had fallen out. Logan fixed them back into my bag and stood and handed it to me, looking down at me with a small smile on his lips.

"Thanks," I said, ignoring the blush on my cheeks and taking my bag from his hand. We walked through the doors and down the steps, making our way onto the sidewalk.

"We're still on for the carnival?" He asked, his arm brushing against mine.

I looked at him. I haven't stopped thinking about it. "Yeah," I replied and swallowed my nerves.

He grinned, and I laughed a little, looking down at the ground and tucking a lock of golden brown hair behind my ear.

"Lauren!"

We looked up and saw Faith and Tyler a few feet in front of us, leaning against the surface of Faith's car. Her arms were locked around his neck, and he was hugging her waist loosely. I smiled at the sight. As we walked over to them, Faith gave Tyler one more kiss before breaking away to start the car. I walked around to the passengers side and hopped in, strapping the seatbelt around my torso.

"Lauren!" Logan called just as we were leaving. I looked up at him and he flashed me a grin. "Pick you up at seven?"

I beamed at him and nodded before Faith started the car and drove out of the parking lot and onto the road.

"If you guys don't get together today, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself." Faith said, shaking her head. I looked over at her and laughed at her seriousness.

"You think I'm being funny." She stated. "I'm serious."

I turned to look out the window. "I know." I said. I bit my lip and leaned my head on the glass. "I know."

"What are you supposed to wear to a carnival?" I asked Faith from the inside of my closet. I stood in the center, my hands on my hips.