22. Play Date

Liv and I rush outside with the rest of our maths class

The skies have been a murky grey for a few days and now we finally have some winter sun.

Our maths teacher tells us to pair up. Liv and I huddle closer together, clutching our worksheets and quadrants, as we venture out onto the school field.

Frozen grass crunches underneath our feet, as we all tiredly listen to Mr Watson's droning voice.

"Why does he love teaching us outside when it's freeze- your- tits -off weather, but never in the summer on a nice hot day?"  Liv mumbles.

Even with my woolly hat and thick coat on, I'm still frozen to the bone.

"He loathes us all?" I answer back.

"Probably,"  Liv resides.

"So, that's it." Mr Watson concludes, clapping his hands. "If you and your partner are stuck on anything, ask another couple." 

With that, he walks away. Over to his folded chair and flask of tea.

"He's seriously just going to sit there and drink tea for the next two hours?" I complain.

"Hope he chokes on it," Liv replies, before sighing and inspecting our worksheet. "Come on. Let's go fling this quadrant around. Maybe he'll let us go if we finish early."

An hour later, my hands are so cold I think they might be in danger of falling off. And I'm completely stuck on the last few questions.

"I want a thick blanket and a hot chocolate," I moan.

"Oh my,"

"I know," I say, thinking Liv is joining in on my winter fantasy, before realising she's basking in her own.

I follow her gaze to the fenced off football pitch, just in time to see Dallas Jackson in the middle of pulling off his hoodie, his toned abs on display.

"It's not fair that he's that beautiful."

I feel like pointing out that Olivia is that beautiful too, but don't bother in the end. She'll only argue back.

Suddenly, Harry jogs into view and Olivia's wide, doe-like eyes narrow. "Urgh."

"Things still not good?" I frown.

"We broke up last night," Liv replies plainly. "He's already with some other girl from Lockwood, apparently."

I'm happy to see Liv doesn't look sad about it, just done.