|72|

I stood with Rick at the colossal rock quarry, occasionally casting glances back at the masses of walkers that growled for us. I'm not going to lie; it completely freaks me out. Only two massive semi-trucks block the quarry's entrance, separating us from them. I looked up at Rick and pursed my lips, ready but unsure.

Two weeks have passed since that night... two long and exhausting weeks. Carl and Selena have been cast out of Ron's little group because 'their parents killed Ron's dad,' or at least, that's what they told me.

We've been starting to teach the community how to defend themselves. Rosita and I have taught them how to use knives, while Rick, Glenn, and Daryl have started teaching them how to use guns. Daryl and I have yet to pat things up exactly, but we can be in the same room with one another, and we can talk indirectly. I miss him so much but don't know how to apologize. I finally decided to for the sake of our friendship, but I'm at a loss.

Morgan, the man who showed up that night with Aaron and Daryl, is the same man Rick tried communicating with at the quarry all those years ago—he's also the same man who stabbed Rick in the shoulder. He's a nice man, however. He doesn't seem as looney as Rick painted him out to be back at the prison.

~*~

I sat inside the house near the kitchen, wiping Pete's blood off. The man, Daryl, and Rick sat inside, the two of us watching as the man and Daryl ate. We were all silent—unsure of what to say. I leaned against the kitchen counter and threw the bloodied rag down, letting it soak in the pre-filled sink. Carl and Selena were upstairs with Judith, watching her while all the craziness died. The man looked back at me, smiling as he shoveled some of the food I had prepared into his mouth.

"This is good," He smiled, "Thank you—"

"June," I nodded at him, unwilling to smile.

"Thank you, June," The man smiled again, "Morgan." Morgan? Wait... isn't that the name of the man who helped Rick get out of King's County? I looked at Rick and cocked an eyebrow, receiving a head nod as my answer. So, this is the infamous Morgan: the man who helped Rick escape and stabbed him in the shoulder. I watched as Morgan looked over at Rick, a melancholy expression on his face.

"You were right. It isn't over," He said, spooning some more of the vegetarian lasagna I had made yesterday into his mouth. Rick looked at me and then at Morgan, his bloodied face looking dark in this lighting.

"We should talk more tomorrow," Rick nodded, "Listen, I don't take chances anymore."

"And you shouldn't."

~*~

"Listen up," Rick started, standing with me in the front, "Now, I know this sounds insane, but this is an insane world. We have to come for them before they come for us. It's that simple." I clapped my hands in front of me and looked at the people gathered.

"This is where it's gonna start tomorrow," I said, speaking loud enough so that everyone could hear me over the loud growling behind us, "Tobin gets in the truck, opens the exit, and we're off." Rick placed a hand on my shoulder, shielding his eyes with the other hand.

"He hops out and catches up with his team at red, staying on the west side of the road. Daryl and June will get on the bike—" A rumbling behind us made Rick stop mid-sentence. I turned and watched as a semi on the rock overpass started to rumble and groan—the rocks beneath it giving under the weight of the vehicle and the mountain of walkers surrounding it. The semi-trick landed with a massive thud, shaking the ground underneath us. It's falling so much sooner than we anticipated!