14!

link: spoti.fi/2VjPUAo
MOON IN MY MIND | FRANKIE ROSE
ILOMILO | BILLIE EILISH
LOOKING | SUKI WATERHOUSE
MYSTERY | JESSE JO STARK

!! TW | S.A. !!
if you chose not to read, just skip to the ⟡ and read from there. there will be a summary of the first half at the end of the chapter, love you!

London, England
June, 1983

    "Harry! Phone!"

With a sigh he sets drops the crossword down on to the bed with a silent plop and pushes himself off of the mattress, feeling the hardwood floor of the room on his bare feet before he starts walking. The phone, located in the kitchen, rang for him only a few times a week, all from the same, reoccurring phone number and the same, reoccurring voice. It was a bold move at first, he almost applauded her for her courage, but he never did and ignored her the first time she called. His mother scolded him for being so rude, he saw it coming, but now, he shuffled his feet along the floor until he grabbed the phone from his mother and pressed it to his own ear.

    "Hello?"

    "Did I wake you?" He could have guessed who it was before hearing her voice, but as it seeped into his ears, it only grew more and more familiar. He can practically hear her smile through the phone, it wasn't as contagious as people made it out to be, but he didn't feel inclined to hang up like he did before. Now, he was contently tolerating her.

    "No."

    "Good." He crosses one arm under another and leans into the wall of the kitchen, a position he finds himself in when speaking on the phone with her—or when his grandmother calls and begs to speak with him—but most of the time, it's just her. "You any busy tonight?"

    "Depends." He says that every time she asks him about his plans, and he normally has none, but he likes to keep his options open, especially the option to say no to her and whatever elaborate idea she comes up with. She comes up with ideas often, most of them he grimaces at and rejects without hesitation, but for some reason, she hasn't stopped calling, asking, wondering.

    "C'mon, don't be like that, Harry—"

    "What do you want from me, Cindy?" He barely gets the words out before his mother is whipping him with a washcloth, causing him to jump in shock, and as she gives him a scolding look, he shrugs it off and turns his back to her.

    "Well, if I know you like I think I do," You don't know me at all, he wants to tell her, although he doesn't like sounding like a broken record, so he keeps his words to himself and listens, "I know that parties are not your thing."

    "Way to go, Einstein." He mutters sarcastically into the phone with a smirk on his lips, and as he hears her scoff on the other end, he rolls his eyes and waits for her to continue on with whatever she has to say.

    "Anyways, my uncle is having a bar opening tonight downtown, been planning it for months." She tells him with splintering hope shooting through her words and he doesn't instantly reply, causing her to continue with more details to convince him."Free food and drinks, public setting, not many people from school in attendance . . . c'mon, I thought it had you written all over it! It'll be fun—"

    "For you, Cindy. It will be fun for you." He tells her with a shake of his head, although his rejection doesn't set in right away. It never seems to with Cindy Sudomir.

    "You don't get it, Harry." She says to him, "It's gonna be adults, my parents' friends and my aunt and uncle's friends, I need someone to hang out with so I'm not watching paint dry!" She exclaims dramatically, and with his bottom lip pinched between his fingertips, he listens to her and takes in her words.