Four

James

James

Seven months.

That's how long Ava and I have officially been dating. It took two months for me to get her, but eventually, I succeeded. And where are we now? Good question. It depends on how you see it; I mean considering we're moving into a new house soon I would say we're in a good spot. But doing that with an unpredictable and murderous cartel sniffing at your heels, makes reality hit you like a truck.

Putting myself in dangerous situations – ones that are necessary – has never brought anxiousness or worry before. Maybe that was because I had no one else to protect other than myself. But now I have Ava. A woman I will do anything in the world for. Hell, I would even give her the world if I could. No, fuck that, I'd give her the whole fucking galaxy.

For the trip to Vegas, I have ordered my men to go to the casino there and inspect the building. Without getting noticed, obviously. I want to get a look at the place before entering it. I have to get to know every corner, every hidden or locked room, where his guards and men are located.

I know Maxim. I know how his brain works, but not as a don. Not as the leader. That's where he has the advantage.

During the last week, the days have included a busy schedule for me, even more than usual. Especially with preparing for the meeting with the Russians. I don't know what he has planned, so I can't take any risks. No matter how small. This is why Ava is staying here at the mansion with my mother to keep her calm and offer her company. The guards will be there as well, as typical.

I throw a glance at the clock that stands on my dark-wooden desk, seeing that it shows four pm. I reserved a table for us at my restaurant, one that is privately held just for me. The restaurant is a high-class place, with huge chandeliers dropping like a crystalline waterfall from the cream-white ceiling. The sound of steps echoing through the hallway on the other side of the door nears me, and the closer it comes, the more certain I get of who they belong to.

Just as figured, Ava walks into the office. She greets me with a smile, and I return it, meanwhile eyeing her figure as she steps closer. Her bag ends up on the chair, along with her jacket.

"What are you doing?" She asks, standing right by me. I look at the open document on my laptop.

"Just some work. Sit." I pat my thigh and scoot out to give her enough space between me and the table. "How was it with your friends?" I ask, moving one hand to her soft thigh while the other moves a strand of hair away from her bare shoulder. She shifts slightly on my lap as she drapes one arm around my neck.

"It was nice, we had a good time. I haven't seen the guys in a long time, due to them moving to college, so it was fun to finally meet them again." Her hand plays with a lock of my hair, reminding me that I should probably get it cut. It wasn't too long, but enough to wrap around her finger.