Chapter Fourteen - Carter

"Fuck me." I hiss as the water filled with ice ripples against my chest.

Ice baths. In the moment, it's brutal. However, an actual Godsend afterwards. Our bruised and battered bodies need it, relieving the ache in our muscles and giving them a chance to be functional in the days following.

Ohio State had given us one hell of a game, they'd started leading 12-3, out of nowhere. Half the dudes on the bench were too spooked to even remember half our plays, coach went fucking nuts. In the end, our physicality and strength overpowered them, we were outhitting, outrunning and their defensive line rolled over and let us, we won 38-18

"Pussy, it's not that bad." Marcus stretches out his neck, he'd taken a big hit today.

"Yea, I actually enjoy these. Two hot and sweaty dudes, rubbing up against each oth-" Water sloshes everywhere as Marcus tries to throw a laughing Seamus out of their shared ice bath. The plastic tub they're sat in almost buckles against the weight of those guys.

"You play too fucking much." Marcus sits back and shakes his head, the water flicking out of his short blonde hair.

"Well then quit touching my thigh." A titter breaks out from a couple of the sophomore guys in the changing room.

"You really think, if I were gay, your BFG-looking-ass would be in my league?"

The two continue bickering until their lips have gone blue. I'm quite a fan of my limbs and a certain appendage so I climb out the ice tub before it drops off with frostbite. I strip off and hit the hot showers, hearing sloshing water and wet cleats hitting the floor when Marcus and Seamus follow me.

"So, we're doing a group date on Friday." I squint in the direction of Marcus's voice, suds that I'd lathered into my hair dripping down my face. "Beer and burgers at Kings."

"Kings? Aren't you supposed to be winning this chick over?" Seamus asks from the cubicle over.

"She chose the time and place, it's cheap and casual." Seamus tries to stifle a laugh.

Cheap and casual was right. Kings was a bar around ten minutes off campus, and the place was a dive. Sure, the food was good, but the place wasn't exactly impressive.

The soles of your shoes would stick to the beer slicked floors, they didn't bother paying for a licence to play new music, most nights it was a tinny sounding jukebox and karaoke that left a lot to be desired.

"Why not Scott's bar?" Seamus asks.

"We're going to Kings, eight o'clock, Friday."

"Seriously, Scott's bar has better music, and the seats won't give you syphilis." Seamus goes on, causing Marcus to groan with frustration and switch off his shower.

"Because last time they were in Scott's bar together, he fucked her in the bathroom." Marcus launches his wash bag at me, I dodge it and smirk at him.

"Don't be a prick Carter."

"Am I wrong?" I don't back down, I roll my eyes and switch off my own shower, wrapping my towel around my waist. Marcus's nostrils flare as he stands across from me, Seamus clears his throat uncomfortably.

It was bizarre. As friends, we'd bicker and sure we'd have different opinions on things, but I'd never seen Marcus so defensive. It was like Ella had cast a spell on him; sickening really, just reaffirming why it was a fucking bad idea to even get involved with a girl before graduation. You get distracted, your GPA slips, your standard at practise slips right along with it and bye, bye NFL.