Calm Before the Storm

The next day, I work from home. This time I need to work on some accounting work for clients outside of the triad. It's relatively easy if I'm honest. Do some math, cut some corners, lie on a few documents, just some simple stuff. I'm pretty good at it and as long as I do it, I'll keep making money. In the afternoon, gather my courage to go and tell Korra, who is probably the strongest person in the world, to stay the fuck away from Bolin. I totally won't get my teeth kicked in. I dress in a powder blue button up shirt, black pants and boots. I grab my keys and wallet, then head out the door. I walk to the ferry dock and catch a ride to Air Temple Island. I'm still feeling a bit nervous, but I push down my anxiety and look ahead to my destination.

I step onto the stone dock and for a moment watch people unload bags of rice from the boat. I look towards the island and admire its steep cliffs, lush trees and tall standing tower. I walk up the long dock and climb the island's winding path. The path splits with  stairs in both directions. I take the stairs on the left and continue to climb. When I reach the top I find buildings with beautiful blue roofs that match the sea that surround the island. The atmosphere… it's so serene. I become engulfed in its calmness, closing my eyes and taking a relaxing breath.

"Who are you?" A squeaky voice asks from seemingly nowhere.

I open my eyes and I'm confronted by three children staring up at me. "Aye aye!" I say as I take a step back. "Personal space, please."

"Sure!" A girl in the middle one swiftly steps forward. "What's your name?"

I step back again with my hands in front of me to regain my space. "Its uh-"

"I'm Ikki!" She says, quickly cutting me off. "That's my younger brother Meelo and that's my older sister Jenora. We're air benders!" She points to her siblings respectively and smiles. "What happened to your hand?"

I ball up my hand and put on a smile. "H-hi there. I-"

"Are you a thief?" Meelo interrupts.

I pause for a moment to account for the whiplash these kids are giving me. "Excuse me?"

"Ooo! Are you here to rob us?" Ikki asks.

I'm taken aback. What they're saying isn't far off but rude. "What?"

"Does she look like a thief to you guys?" Jenora interjects.

"Hmmmm…" Meelo looks me up and down. "You're right. She doesn't look strong enough." He says, flexing like a bodybuilder. "I could take her."

"Ahem!" I say to get their collective attention. "Hey. I am very strong, thank you very much."

"Not as strong as me. I am Meelo, conqueror of all who oppose me!" He laughs maniacally.

...who is this sassy child?

"Well, I may not be a conqueror or an air bender, but I am a very powerful water bender." I say as I squat down.

"Are you as powerful as Gran Gran?" Ikki asks.

"Kid, I don't even know what a 'Gran Gran' is."

"Gran Gran is our grandmother. She's water bending Master Katara." Jenora replies. 

Right, they're air benders. What am I, a fucking idiot? "Probably not then. Not yet anyway."

"OH OH OH!" Ikki jumps up and down excitedly. "Show us a move!"

"I don't got any water on me." 

"SHOW US WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF OR I'M THROWING YOU OFF MY ISLAND!" Meelo leans in with a nasty stare.

"Woah woah, alright little man." I stand up and step into a back stance. "I got a move I can show you." I start weaving my hands through the air.

"That's a very bad air bending stance." Meelo points at my feet.