I 25 I

I love you ☂ 

'Let's just calm down,' Luther glances at Diego warily. He shifts his gaze to me and Five. 'Five, just tell us who they are.'

'Maybe Diego won't lose his shit if you do,' I mumble, sitting back down on the bed. Diego makes an unpleasant face in my direction.

'They work for my former employer,' Five mutters, bending down to sit beside me. 'A woman called the Handler. She sent them.'

'Why?' I ask, looking over at him.

'To stop me.' Five answers. 'And as soon as Diego's friend got in the way..well - fair game.'

'Now they're my fair game,' Diego says darkly, stepping out from behind Luther's bulky form. 'And I'm going to see to it they pay.'

'That'd be a mistake, Diego,' Five calls after him, craning his neck. 'They've killed people far more dangerous than you.'

'Yeah, we'll see about that,' Diego fumes, slamming the door.

Luther just stands there looking awfully confused.

'Former employer? What's this really about Five?' He asks. 'And don't give me 'this is none of your business' crap. Alright?'

Five sighs. 'Well it's a long story.'

'We've got time,' I blink.

'Actually we don't-'

'Five.'

'Fine.'

Luther sits down.

And so Five proceeds to tell us the story of how he joined the commission, killing people who messed up the timeline. The Handler seems like a pretty crazy-self-centred bitch, who's decided to weed out Five before he can do any further damage.

'So, you were a hit man?' Luther asks, handing Five another cup of coffee.

'Yes.'

'Uh..I mean, you had a code right? You didn't kill, just anybody?' he sits back down.

'No code.' Five answers, slightly regrettably. 'We took out anyone who messed up the timeline.'

He looks at me. 'It was the only way I could get back here.'

'But that's murder.'

'Jesus Luther, grow up.' Five says. 'We're not kids anymore. There's no such thing as good guys and bad guys, there's just people. Going about their lives. But when the world ends, all those people die. Including our family.' He sighs. 'Time changes everything.'

Five swallows. 'Those equations took me years to solve.'

I give him half a smile. 'Sorry I'm so much smarter than you.'

'Ha.'

'What equations?' Luther asks.

'The ones that got me back here,' Five says. 'Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to the academy.'

'Why?' I say.

'Because I need to do something.'

'What exactly?' I frown. 'You don't have to be so vague, Five.'

'I'm going to find out what causes the apocalypse.'

....

Five and I arrive back at the academy, after spacial jumping several times.

'You okay?' I ask, glancing at him sideways.

'Yeah, why?'

'Well...last I checked there was no more evidence to go off of and the entire world was going to end.' I say, tapping my foot. 'Now...you think you've got something?'

'What can I say?' Five smirks. 'I'm just that brilliant.'

'Brilliantly good at hiding things,' I look closer. 'What is going on with you?'

'Nothing.' he says. 'Why do you keep asking?'

'You seem different,' I conclude. 'Do you miss your mannequin girlfriend or something?'

'Dolores is not my girlfriend,' Five grumbles. 'She's just a friend.'

'Are we uh, going to talk about what you said when you were drunk?'

Five raises his eyebrows. 'I'd prefer not to.'

'Well, I wouldn't.'

He sighs. 'What do you want to talk about.'

'My scar,' I say, gesturing to my thigh. 'How do you know about it?'

'You told me,' Five frowns. 'How else?'

I hesitate. 'Well it's...the location...'

Five's eyes widen. 'You think we-'

'Did we?'

'No.'

I nod, unconvinced.

'You don't believe me, do you?' Five scoffs incredulously. 'We don't have-'

'-Time for this-I know Five!' I roll my eyes. 'Let's just go in there and get whatever you need to do over with so that you can go back to hating everyone like you usually do.'

'I don't hate everyone,' Five lowers his voice. 'Why do you think that?'

I falter. 'I didn't mean...'

'I'm doing this for our family,' he takes a step forward. 'And because I don't want to lose you again.' That last statement is so quiet I barely hear it.

'Oh.' I shut my mouth. 'I'm...' God I hate this word. 'I'm sorry.'

Five sighs, looking away from me.

'It's fine.' 

I hesitate, looking him straight in the eyes. 

'I just want your honesty, okay?' 

'On what?' He looks mildly confused. 

'What are we? Or, what were we?' I sit down on the steps. After a few moments, Five sits next to me. 

'What were we...' He mumbles under his breath. 'Well. Nothing.' 

My heart falls into my stomach. 'Before anything could even happen, you were gone.' 

'Oh.' 

'But that didn't change how I felt about you,' He continues, staring at his feet. 'How I still do..I guess.' 

I remain silent, waiting for him to continue. Is it possible that Five actually has real feelings?

'Like I said before,' He trails off. 

'I don't want to lose you again. Because...because I love you.' 

___

Damn, Five