II.VI

A/N: "Another Love" by Tom Odell, "Atlas: Two" by Sleeping at Last, and "Back to December" by Taylor Swift

You're stuck in place, staring back at Hotch as he stands at the door of your hotel room. You don't move out of his way so that he can come inside.

"Look I know this is uncomfortable," He takes a second to breathe, "For both of us, but there's nothing I can do." He holds his go-bag down at his side while the other hand does that damn thing, rubbing his thumb and forefinger together. Your eyes flit down to his hand then back up to his face. Without saying a word you step aside to let him in.

"I can take the couch," You say softly, letting the door close behind him as he steps in. You rush around him to clean off the bed, taking your go-bag off of it and tossing it onto the chair in the corner.

Hotch raises his brow at you as he neatly places his bag on the rack in the closet. You watch as he shrugs off his jacket, reaching for a hanger, "That's hardly a couch. You can't sleep on that." He nods at the bed, "We can share. There's plenty of room."

You go silent. He methodically pulls out the few clothes from his bag and begins hanging them up. You glance at the ball of your clothes thrown on the chair, noting the extreme difference between your travel styles.

"Unless you're uncomfortable with that," He clears his throat a little and nods, "Because I can call and have them bring up a cot. I'll sleep on it I totally understand if you don't feel comfortable—"

"I'll be okay," You nod and wrap your arms around yourself a little. You sort of just stand in the middle of the room, watching as Hotch folds and organizes all his clothes before moving on to loosen his tie and roll up his sleeves.

Hotch walks towards you and you suck in a small breath as he brushes past you to close the sliding door out to the balcony, "You mind if I close this?"

"Oh yeah," You nod, "Go ahead. I'm just going to uh," You stumble over your words, and even your feet, a little, as you grab some clothes from the ball, "I'm going to go change and wash up really quick."

"Take your time," He nods and pulls out the chair at the desk, laying out some of the files, "I'm going to get some more work done on the case before I shower."

You resist the temptation to comment on his inability to put the work aside for a few hours to get some sleep. The job is emotionally taxing enough, but Hotch never seems to put the job away.

You decide against the joke, scurrying off to the bathroom and closing the door with a bit too much force. Sharing a bed with Hotch, what could possibly go wrong? You almost want to laugh at the comedy of it all. After what has been shaping up to be the worst day in your entire time at the BAU, the universe laughs at you and forces you into bed with the man you're simultaneously hating and falling for all over again.

If you stand in the bathroom thinking over everything for too long you know you'll freak yourself out and beg someone on the team to switch rooms with you. Asking someone to switch will bring up too many questions, too many confused looks, and too much explaining. In all honesty, you're exhausted and you want nothing more than to curl up in the bed and try your best to get a good night's sleep before tomorrow.