Chapter 26

“I can’t swim, but I can plug the hole.” After saying so, Qian Wei heroically went to do just that. She looked at Lu Xun and said, “Let me do it.”

Then she sat down near the hole in the raft. “It might be hard to block with a palm but it shouldn’t be a problem as long as I sit still and don’t move.”

“Qian Wei, you really are a talented person. How did you come up with this idea?”

In the face of Liu Shiyun’s question, Qian Wei waved her free hand: “Haven’t you ever done your primary school reading before? In the frozen winter, although there were many empty seats on the bus, there was a man in an army coat who stubbornly stood by a window. Everyone thought that he must be a fool, why would he stand when there were seats to sit in? But then when he left, the rest of the bus suddenly felt an unbearably cold wind and they looked around for the source. Soon they found it: There was a hole in the window glass where the man in the army coat had been standing. It turned out that he had been using his body to shield everyone from the cold wind.” She patted her chest. “I am also that kind of noble person.”

Everyone seemed very grateful when she said that, but Lu Xun did not. The corner of his mouth tugged upward: “You just want to be able to sit around in a daze without doing any paddling.”

After he said that, everyone looked at the yawning Qian Wei again and, sure enough, things seemed to be as Lu Xun said.

Qian Wei glared at him. Lu Xun, even if you didn’t speak, no one would think you were a mute!

But as a result, the problem of the leak was solved. Before everyone could take it easy though, the other raft caught up with them. The people on the other raft were obviously feeling very lively and high on the atmosphere so when they passed Qian Wei’s raft, they began to splash water at Qian Wei’s raft with their oars. This was simply a naked declaration of war and when Qian Chuan saw Mo Zixin being splashed with water, he was the first to stand up and fight back. The two sides passionately swung their oars and fought back and forth. More and more people joined in until the two rafts were in a huge water fight.

While this fierce battle went on, the raft, which had been steady until now, began to shake under all of the people throwing their weight around. Making matters even worse, the raft had finally reached a more fast-moving section of the river. The river suddenly widened and the current became very fast. They rapidly went into a large dip in the river and Qian Wei’s raft was finally overwhelmed and capsized directly, causing everyone to neatly fall into the water.

Qian Wei had been sitting at the bow of the raft in front of the hole in the raft and plugging was the leak. Most of the other people were gathered behind her and fighting fiercely with the other raft. Qian Wei had not been affected too much by the water fight behind her and she had just started to feel drowsy in the warmth of the sun when, in the blink of an eye, she was dumped into the river with a splash. Unfortunately for her, most of the people who fell into the water were at the stern of the raft while Qian Wei fell in near the bow. The result was that she was swept up by the fast current and separated from the others. 

She didn’t know what was going on but she was pretty sure that having this broken life jacket was the same as not having it. It was probably a fake product. It not only had no buoyancy, it also seemed to sink when it fell into the water! The other people who fell into the water were obviously also aware of the problem and began to scramble desperately in the water.

“Help! I can’t swim! Qian Chuan! Help me! Qian Chuan–“

As soon as Qian Wei started shouting, the overturned raft hit some stones in the river and kicked up a big spray that poured straight into Qian Wei’s mouth. Qian Wei choked and coughed and finally began to panic and struggle desperately. She was carried away by the swift current in seconds. She tried to catch one of the stones in the river but all that happened was that she bruised her arm. The current was just too fast.