Chapter 27

Ananya Prasad

I can feel the dead chill spread through me. I can see anger, hurt, disappointment, sadness, guilt seeping into their gazes. They could be blaming themselves for destroying their childrens' life where in reality I am the culprit. I shattered whatever little hope they have.

But, the question is how would they know?

"Why are you staying in the hostel instead of the apartment?" my mom started.

"Ma, I am so-"

"I asked her to leave the apartment", he interrupted me. I whipped my head to see him.

"Why?" his mother asked.

"I thought it is better to be this way at least until Sharanya arrives and understands the situation" he explained.

"I don't want the relation between Ananya and Sharanya to worsen. I want them to sort out their misunderstandings regarding this marriage. She doesn't know anything about what happened after she left. And I don't want her to blame me or Ananya for marrying. Once everything is sorted with Sharanya, then we will start our life together" he told them further.

I know what he is doing. He is trying to shift the blame onto him for this situation. He is also pacifying our families by avoiding divorce and cleverly citing Sharanya so that they won't pressure us. He knows that they will never give permission for a divorce so he is trying to diffuse their worry and downplaying the situation. He is trying not to hurt our families and also indirectly assuring me not to worry.

I always thought that he is a crude and arrogant person especially when he asked me to marry him for the company as soon as my sister left. I never in my dreams imagined that he can be this sensible and capable of handling crises so well. He didn't rat me out even when he got the chance and instead shielded me from the wrath of our parents even though I was nothing but, selfish with him. I found a new respect for him.

"Why didn't you guys tell us before taking such a big step?" his dad asked him.

We both stood silently not answering the question.

"I know my daughters, Arjun. Even though I didn't see you for the last fifteen years, I raised you once Arjun. Do you think I will believe if you take this blame on yourself? Did you think I will trust that Ananya has no part in this? I know her Arjun. Do you think I don't know how my daughter thinks? So stop playing us", my mom told him angrily. My mom knows us too well.

"Pinky, I know Sharanya will misunderstand this situation. But, what happened is because of her decision. She took that choice to leave her marriage and now she has to bear the consequences. If she can't even understand what you did for our families, then it is time you let her go. I don't want you guys to jeopardize your relationship because of her" my mom told us.

"We all gave you both time so that you guys will work this out without us crowding you. We didn't expect you guys to drift further apart. Now, enough of this hide and seek. From now on, you both will live with us in our home. I don't care if it is difficult for you guys to commute" his mom ordered us.

"Mom..." he was interrupted before he started.

"Lakshmi is right, Arjun. It is time for both of you to stop thinking of others and focus on your relationship. It is good that Lakshmi had a spare key for the apartment and she came to cook for both of you early. Otherwise, we never would have found out about you guys living separately and about your decision to divorce" my mom informed us sadly.

Arjun sir and I looked at each other and then looked at my mom. Only four of us know about the decision. Me, Arjun sir, Karthik and Sid. I am pretty sure now that either Sid or Karthik ratted us out.