Chapter 3

A/N:  Just a really quick note to say that originally I wasn't going to post twice this week.  But, once I get 5 chapters up I can enter most contests, and I'm hoping by doing so that I can get this story more traction.  However, starting next week I will only be posting Fridays from here on out unless I am given a huge reason to put up a celebratory chapter.  :) 

Posted 7/19/21

2827 words.

Perhaps Namjoon's idea to send the three of us out to coerce human targets to be gluttonous wasn't the best idea he ever had

Perhaps Namjoon's idea to send the three of us out to coerce human targets to be gluttonous wasn't the best idea he ever had. After all, out of the seven of us we were the three who happened to struggle the most with gluttony. Usually the groups are a bit more balanced than they happen to be tonight, but this elusive threat who was somehow constantly managing to elude us was causing our leader to lose sight of the best protocol to implement in these situations. Luckily, I was the most balanced of the three of us on the task tonight.

Hmm. Okay perhaps I should admit to myself that was probably my own pride talking. Tonight we were supposed to work from within the veil, and only send out impulses to convince our targets to indulge in the sin. I didn't know if the other two would succeed themselves.

Seokjin and Yoongi had both chosen to focus on two types of target locations: buffet restaurants and bars. Which should work out fine if they stay in the veil like they had been directed. I was unsure if they would follow that particular order or not. Both of them really did love to eat and drink.

Okay, I had to admit that I loved to eat myself, but honestly my biggest gluttonous vice was the draw of video games. Truthfully, the draw of playing video games was riding a fine line between the two sins, sloth and gluttony, regarding which one was the more prominent sin of the two when it came down to it. I had grown to realize from my experience that there were other dependencies that factored in. If the target were to only just sit there and game mindlessly without much skill or effort applied, then sure that would be more along the lines of being considered sloth. However, if the gamer in question played hours on end due to the addictive thrill of the game itself. If it got their blood pumping, and they were playing strictly for that rush. Then that would be considered more gluttonous in nature.

There was also another type of gamer that could also be considered to be committing a gluttonous sin. Those were the ones who played games as a way to earn extra funds. Now, if it were their actual occupation that's an entirely different situation, because in that case they are earning the funds they need to survive day to day. But if they played hours upon end in an effort to achieve more finances to either fund some frivolous purchase or hobby then that could also be gluttonous in nature. Once again though, even that could potentially cross the line into a greed based sin instead. The deciding factor was simply how far they took it.

So here I was hopping from home to home of my designated targets for the evening. I had learned my marks by challenging them myself last night to games, and learning the home locations of the ones within the area that had already clocked the most hours first. Any I came across that seemed more in the thrall of sloth I would send out a tendril of adrenaline in hopes that it would change the outcome of the sin that they were committing. I had already been to seven houses, and I had just about filled my own personal quota when I was pulled into the unexpected telepathic conversation.