Chapter TwentyOne

A bowl full of porridge is set in front of me. I thank the kitchen maid and dig in. Sage sits next to me, at the head of the table, Serge at the other end and everyone else in-between.

Serge clears his throat, drawing everybodys attention towards him. Multiple utensils clank against plates as theyre set down in respect.

"We can't leave Tom in Class "Serge exclaims. I sit up straight and look around the table, waiting to be called out. The mention of Class makes my hair stand on end. Everyone is looking in Serge's direction while he looks towards Sage.

Sage's hand grabs my leg under the table, squeezing to stop the nervous bouncing that I had subconsciously started.

Sage grunts, unimpressed. "We don't know where he is, there was no sign of him" he says. My ears perk up; I know where they keep the prisoners. I overheard Dad and Max talking about it one evening.

I'd have to wait until Sage and I were alone before I open my mouth though.

"We can't leave him there, they'll kill him eventually" Ryder adds his two cents. Serge nods along while Sage says nothing.

It become abundantly clear that even though it's obvious Serge is the boss, Sage is in charge of the runs to Class and the safety of whoever he takes with him. Ultimately, the decision to save Tom is up to Sage.

"You can't leave him there" Ivy joins in, her voice sodden. Gunner throws his arm around the back of her chair.

Sage breathes out a deep breath, his hand squeezing my leg tightly. It was obvious this whole situation is beginning to get on his nerves. The room is silent, looking between Sage and Serge for the next move.

"I-I don't think you should leave him there" I say quietly. Everyones eyes turn to me, their faces looking slightly shocked and eyes moving rapidly between Sage and I. I'm unsure whether it's because I had the audacity to speak up or because I had given Sage my advice and expected him to take it.

Sage looks at me; his brows pull together as he looks at me, contemplating what he should do.

"We don't even know if he's alive" Sage says to Serge. Serge nods, stroking his beard.

"I'll go" Gabe speaks up. Sage nods his head in thanks.

"No, I'll go" Sage exclaims. He doesn't seem pleased with the decision he had more or less been forced into.

It made me feel oddly more comfortable that he was going by himself. It seems the only time problems arise is when Sage takes others along with him.

Breakfast is finished in no time, the maids gathering the plates and utensils, returning them to the kitchen.

Sage and I make our way back up the stairs so that I can spend the day in the bedroom while Sage converses with Serge about the rescue mission to retrieve Tom.

It's only Sage and I as we reach the hallway; I look behind us, double checking that no one is around before I open my mouth.

I grab Sage's forearm so that he stops walking ahead and bends his head down to my level. I briefly get distracted as his eyes move down to my lips and his breath fans my face.

"They keep the prisoners underneath the infirmary, next to the morgue" I whisper. Sage's eyes flash from my lips up to my eyes before he does a quick sweep of the hallway, making sure nobodys listening.

His nose flares as he hooks an arm loosely around my waist and guides us into his bedroom. The door slams behind us, I can't tell if Sage is angry or if he's just being his normal self.

He spins me around and bends at the waist so that his face is close to mine again. I flush slightly as his eyes once again hold the intense look they did earlier.

"You have to be careful talking about Class" he says firmly.

"I know, I-I checked if anyone was around" I defend myself. Should I really be so worried talking about Class in Lawless? Are we really that hated here?

"There's ears everywhere" he says. His eyes hold firm, connected with mine, enforcing the importance.

"Okay" I say quietly, nodding along. Sage nods his head along with me before moving back.

I watch as Sage moves around the room, brushing his teeth and running his hands through his hair, in a hurry to leave. He grunts as he knocks his shoulder into the corner on the wall, the sound reminding me of earlier and I instantly feel my face begin to warm up.

I'm still standing in the middle of the room as Sage walks up to me, my heart flutters thinking his going to kiss me goodbye. Instead he grabs my hip and leans into my ear, his lips resting on my ear lobe.

"Stay here, yeah?" he asks. I nod a yes, already knowing that I'm going to go searching for Ivy today. I could understand Sage wanting to keep me in his room for safety purposes but I won't take the chance of him saying no to me seeing Ivy. It's easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission.

Sage places a rough kiss under my ear. There is no doubt he can see my flaming cheeks, he smirks but doesn't say a word.

He leaves the room, shutting the door behind him. I hear his boots fade as he walks down the stairs.

I wait a few minutes longer just in case he forgot something and returns, but he never does.

I creep to the door, opening it and peak through. The only life in the hallway is a maid that is going from room to room changing the bed sheets.

I close the door behind me and slink past the few rooms up to Ivy's door. I raise a hand and knock, hoping she's inside.

"Coming!" she yells through the door. There's a bang and a curse before the door opens. Ivy's hair is all over the place and she's panting slightly.

"Uh, should I come back another time?" I ask.

"No, no, I just tripped" she laughs "it's a little messy" she says as she opens the bedroom door wide. I step inside and look around. The room is plain white and there's an unmade bed with a canopy in the middle of the room. I couldn't even begin to guess what the colour of the carpet is, clothes and make up cover the floor.

"Yeah, you'll just have to step over it, I couldn't find a dress" Ivy explains. I nod an okay with a smile.

Just then the door is pushed open, giggles following through.

"Lily, Rose, what're you doing here?" Ivy says with a weary smile.  The two little girls give a gummy smile and climb over the mountain of clothes on the floor to reach Ivy.

They reach Ivy, throwing their arms around her legs "hiding" Lily says as Rose giggles.

"Oh" Ivy says, entertaining the idea. I smile and wave at them as they turn to me.

*

Ivy spends the next hour getting ready for the day, sitting in front of her dresser putting make up on her face. I busy the girls by playing dress ups with Ivy's clothes. They walk around in dresses that are sizes too big, trailing behind them and high heels that have caused them to trip more times than I can count. Only a few tears have been spilt.

"Do you want to go into the garden, girls?" Ivy asks Lily and Rose. Shes rewarded with a loud shout and squeals. I cover my ears as the high pitch squeals ring in my head.

We make our way to the door, both the girls still in the high heels. Ivy holds Lily's hand while I hold Rose's to make sure they don't land on their faces.

It takes us longer than usual to reach the top of the stairs, the girls taking tiny steps and stumbling everywhere.

"Are you okay, Rose?" I ask as she trips again. Before she has time to answer a shout comes from downstairs. Ivy looks towards me, her brows pulling together in confusion. She peaks her head around the corner.

Ivy whips her head back around real quick, her eyes wide. She opens her mouth to explain to me when I hear it.

"Hello, Serge" my feel the colour drain from my face as my head starts to spin when Sir Walter's voice is heard within the house.