~Chapter 46~

The silence of the entire two minutes had completely held my breath. And if my ears weren't ringing due to my fearful adrenaline, I'd have made out the contagious thumping of everyone's heart in that pin drop silence.

Shivaay took that opportunity to jump on his feet and dashed toward where Emika was being held between the two guards.

It took Mr. Miller less than a second to fire off his gun apprehensively and just at that instant, I heard a loud, agonizingly painful scream.

Maybe it was the sound of gun firing or maybe they were literally planning to enter at that moment but I saw the police finally rushing in to make the situation better.

Although, I didn't care about it. My eyes wandered to the one who was howling in pain and had doubled over within seconds. Shivaay!

Just as the NYPD was holding back everyone from the others, Shivaay was writhing and clutching his leg where he had been shot.

I wanted to go over to him but I was held back by someone. When I looked over my shoulder, I saw an intimidating looking middle aged man in his uniform, holding my wrists from behind. Glancing around, I saw that it was the same with every person present in the room. Then it dawned on me that the police couldn't tell who the criminal was.

I began crying as two men helped Shivaay outside the warehouse by wrapping his arms around their shoulders. Trying my best, I kept on getting out of the tight restraints of the intimidating personnel's grip.

"Stand still, ma'am," he ordered with a firm voice.

Slumping, I did as I was told to and a silent choke escaped my lips. It was all my fault and I just wanted to be left alone. Left alone to beat myself internally. At least that would make me feel better.

Before I could start hating myself any further, I saw my dad and Angela rushing inside the warehouse sporting frantic looks on their faces. The funny thing was that they were still wearing their wedding outfits.

With teary eyes and a poignant heart, I still smiled a little. Seeing them, I felt at home. I felt at ease. Even though I couldn't meet anyone's eyes, I knew that I could always count on them.

Just thinking about it, I began crying harder without holding myself back. I guess the weight of the whole situation was finally falling on me and I couldn't resist anymore.

"Dad," I whimpered and my scratchy voice croaked even more.

As soon as I said that, his head snapped in my direction. Our eyes locked before he closed and opened them back again which were now glistening with tears of relief.

Sprinting toward me, he flicked his wrist at the police guy behind me and I was free within seconds. Soon enough, they freed all my friends and took the rest of them, which included all the guards, Mr. Miller and Yousuf, outside the broken door of the warehouse.

The moment my dad reached me, I hugged him like I would lose him in the very next instant. I had almost been so close to my death twice today and I knew that it was a sign for me to let loose and let go. It was a sign for me to learn all those things I had considered as trivial during my childhood and teenage years.

But most of all, it was a sign… it was a sign for me to be grateful to every single person present in my life. It was a sign for me to hold onto them and understand how precious they are to me.

Never once did they question my motives nor did they back away from helping me even when they knew that the situation was nothing short of dangerous.

I pulled away from my dad and was bewildered to see his eyes pooling with unshed tears. "Aww, dad," I whispered, my own face mirroring his.