27 | cinquefoil

1706, Le Prince Manor, Fiorio

    "Come and sit with your grandmother, ma belle," the old woman called out softly. Even though the Old Countess was approaching her seventies, she still made sure that her dresses and jewelry would rival that of any young lady.

The Old Countess's dresses were made from the finest brocade, and her neck and wrists were always bedecked with jewels. She had married into House le Prince as a young girl at the very height of their prosperity, and she knew no way of living other than the extremely lavish one she enjoyed right now.

Marguerite lit up at the sight of her grandmother, and she immediately rushed to her side, taking a seat on the blue velvet chaise.

    "Grand-mère!" she beamed. "Did you know that a new music store just opened up in Kestramore City? Nathaniel and I went there and had a look yesterday, and there it was! The most beautiful pianoforte I've ever seen in my life, Grand-mère!"

The Old Countess chuckled. "Is that so, mon bijou? What did it look like?"

    "Oh Grand-mère, I cannot describe its beauty with words! The cover is polished white and inlaid with crystals and mother of pearl, and the keys are made of pure marble!"

Marguerite's eyes were vibrant and full of life as she spoke, and this little fourteen-year-old girl bore no resemblance at all to the monster that she would become one day.

    "If you like it so much, then we'll go and buy it for you," the Old Countess declared resolutely.

The young girl let out a gasp. "Is this true, Grand-mère?"

The Old Countess let out a laugh as she fondly stroked Marguerite's soft golden hair. "Of course, ma belle. I will buy the entire store for you if you want it!"

    "Oh, Grand-mère!" Marguerite exclaimed as she snuggled against her grandmother, beaming with delight. "I'm so happy right now!"

    "You are truly the apple of my eye, mon coeur. Not only are you beautiful on the outside, but you are also beautiful on the inside too! Your beauty is as soft and delicate as a daisy, and your heart is as pure as a white rose. Believe me, Marguerite, no one in this kingdom can compare to you," the Old Countess praised.

    "You're exaggerating, Grand-mère," Marguerite countered sheepishly, though she was already smiling from ear to ear.

    "I am not exaggerating. You truly are the most esteemed lady in this kingdom, and I do not expect you to settle for any less than a royal. Do you understand, mon coeur?"

Marguerite's smile grew wider. This is exactly why amongst all her family members, she favoured Grand-mère the most.

 This is exactly why amongst all her family members, she favoured Grand-mère the most