Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Maybe I should just magically transport you," Regina gently says from beside Emma, who is staring at the front step to the mansion like it's Everest.

"No, I can do this...it's just...gonna take me a minute."

"This in one step, dear. There are four more once we are inside," she reminds her, eyeing Henry with concern as he waits patiently at the front door, holding his baby sister in her car seat. "Whale said you should avoid stairs at least for the first week."

"He also said I should avoid taking care of our baby so-"

"That's not what he said," she interrupts, slightly exasperated. "He just doesn't want you bending down and lifting her or carrying her in the car seat. You are still perfectly capable of holding her, feeding her, bathing her. We just need to be careful, we don't want you tearing anything internally."

Emma sheepishly glances at her. "Thanks for the we."

"There is no other term," she easily dismisses. "Everything is we now."

"I know, it's just nice to hear."

Regina nods, a sappy grin breaking apart her lips and showing off her pearly whites. "Now, let's do this," she encourages, nodding toward the concrete step that is taunting Emma this morning.

Their family was just released from the hospital, day three after Autumn's birth. Yes, the nurses pushed Emma to walk down the halls and use the restroom on her own. They even stated that she must shower before she left, which Regina helped with instead of the nurse. However, walking is still difficult for Emma, Regina can't pretend she doesn't see the pain striking her girlfriend's face every time she steals a small step forward. Dr. Whale stated that she should be back to normal in four weeks. Emma's gynecologist said realistically it could be eight to twelve weeks.

Emma is a stubborn ass though and won't accept Regina's assistance when it comes to the simple task of walking. Regina hikes the duffel bag higher upon her shoulder and waits patiently for Emma to find her strength and master that one step. She stands close, almost shoulder to shoulder as Emma carefully lifts one leg and tries not to hiss in agony as she conquers the step. And it's so hard, so depressing witnessing the Savior, a woman who has always been so fit and so strong become defeated by one measly step.

Henry pushes the front door open for them and waltzes through with his sister sound asleep in her carrier. He bounces up the steps so effortlessly, provoking a groan to escape Emma's mouth.

"Emma-"

"I have to do it on my own, Regina."

She holds her hands up in surrender and softly closes the door behind them. She casually climbs the stairs, scoops up Autumn's car seat and turns back around to find Emma leaning against the wall, one stair complete.

"I'm going to the den for a moment, I will be right back. Henry, stay with your mother."

"Got it."

Emma exhales slowly, visibly breathing through the pain as she pushes on to the next step.

Regina knows Emma can't be climbing their staircase to bed and it's an inconvenience that the kitchen is downstairs, so she decides it's best if Emma stays on the main floor for the first two weeks. Thankfully, they are in Storybrooke and it takes her all of five seconds to flick her wrist and change the den into a copy of the master bedroom with an addition of a bassinet and changing station for Autumn.

"See, I did it," she can hear Emma in that cocky tone down the hall and she decides to flick her wrists one more time. "Regina!"

"Ssshhhh our baby is sleeping," she scolds in a whisper.