Back to school

I don't know their ages so this takes place when they're 16 and in highschool, Josh is two years younger then Deena and a Freshmen.
_
"JOSH! i've told you repeatedly to get off that damn computer" Deena yanked the headset off Josh's head, frightened Josh quickly stood up "Be careful with that Deena!" Josh snatched the headphones from Deena's hand setting them down on the counter

"we're gonna be late for the first day of school if you don't hurry your ass up" Walking back towards the stairs from the basement that leads upstairs, Deena scolded Josh once more.

"alright don't bother me during school" Deena looked towards Josh to make sure the message was clear "and...try to make some friends" She said with a little more sympathy "yea, i'll try." Josh responded blandly, opening the car door Deena watched as her little brother walked into the building.

Back in this shithole again...yay. With a sigh Deena followed her brothers trail. Inside she was greeted with the faces of returning students from last year which was sophomore year but soon as she walked past many students she saw her two closest friends

"Deena! how was your summer" Simon said with a cheerful smile while Kate stood at his side in her cheerleading uniform "hi guys...and we spent this summer together so why ask" Deena narrowed her eyes towards Simon "i'm being polite!" He giggled. Deena turned her attention towards Kate

"and woah what you're a cheerleader now Kate?" Kate rolled her eyes "yes i told you BOTH about this during summer" Deena just responded with a shrug, "don't recall" Simon said. "Now what are you classes?" Simon asked reaching behind him to take a piece of paper from his backpack. They all took their schedule and compared them to each other

"well damn at least we all have one class together" Simon smiled awkwardly "just great. i'll be stuck in 5 other classes knowing absolutely no one" Deena groaned.

"well unlike you losers i have "cheerleading friends" to keep me company which is where i should go now. love you losers" And with that Kate spun around and walked away "how much you wanna bet she's gonna become one of those girls" Deena complained.

After Deenas first 4 classes it was time for lunch which was her favorite time of the day since she got to escape schoolwork for a minute and catch-up with her friends. "DEENA! OVER HERE!!" she heard Simon call to her from across the cafeteria. She dragged her way towards the back of the cafeteria where Simon and Kate sat.

"Finally" Deena whined when sitting down "can't handle school anymore"she said placing her backpack beside her. "Well unlucky you, so far today's been pretty good! Although the cheerleaders make me want to just rip my head apart" Kate hissed "being a cheerleader does give you some privilege"

"I haven't been paying attention, if i'm being honest i'm pretty high right now" Simon snorted. "of course you are" Deena whispered. She looked down at her tray which concluded a banana, something white and squishy that's considered mash potatoes, and a carton of milk.

"They give us worse lunch food each year i swear" Deena didn't think twice before standing up and throwing the food down the trash and then placing her tray above it. When she turned back around to head back she saw the table surrounded by what looked like a hurricane of pom poms

"so don't you wanna sit with us instead? you should cause you know" Said one of the cheerleaders looking down at Kate "actually i'm quite comfortable here" Kate gave a fake smile. "excuse me" Deena pushed through some of the cheerleaders. They grimaced as Deena sat down again next to Kate and Simon.

"Well you heard her, maybe it's time for you to leave" Deena spoke. "mhm" said the main cheerleader and walked away with almost the rest on her trail. One cheerleader stood there distracted on her phone with earbuds in each ear.

"Sam!" Said the main cheerleader noticing Sams absence. Still Sam stood still not realizing how loud her music was that Deena could hear a familiar song by the Pixies playing.

Deena decided to reach out and capture the girls attention by pulling out an earbud. Sam's face widened in embarrassment after realizing she was standing alone besides the table "hi...your friends are calling you." Deena said holding back a laugh. "oh sorry" Sam said quickly before dashing off behind the other cheerleaders

After Sam left the group let out a burst of giggles "Sam's pretty cool actually well compared to the rest" Kate said before turning her attention back to her tray of food "she has good music taste too" Deena said smiling to herself.

As they continued eating Deena decided to look around for her brother. She did in fact tell him not to bother him but she wondered if he was okay. He never really had many friends except for the ones online.

She finally spotted him sitting alone in a far corner with headphones on and an empty table. Deena wanted to be able to speak freely with her friends but this was her brother. Her brother who was one of the only people she cared about. She has a 'family' but that only consist of three people.

Those people are Josh, her dad, and her, their father really isn't in the picture. He's usually busy getting drunk and because of that Deena has to take care of Josh by herself. Looking at him sitting there alone made her feel a sting of sympathy so she turned back towards the group.

"can you guys sit next to Josh with me? I'm hoping people will notice and not think he's a total nerd" Deena asked Kate and Simon who sat there with raised eyebrows. "sure if he's related to you then he can't be that bad" Kate answered and stood up, Deena replied smiled with a smile.

"what are you doing here?" Josh asked his big sister as she sat down besides him with Kate and Simon on each side of her. "your sister is ACTUALLY being a good sister! can you believe it??!" Simon said with a fake shocked expression. "really?" Josh asked facing his sister"

"yes because i'm just that good a sister" Deena said sarcastically. Josh hesitated before finishing his smush of potatoes but Deena noticed a small smile on his face.
_