twenty-eight

one more chapter to go!

PAIN & PLEASURE, BLACK ATLASS

With my father in a coma, I was to step up as acting CEO for our cosmetics company. The great amount of words Matthew spoke to reassure me this morning had done nothing to calm my nerves. I'm a mess. My pregnancy hormones are making this worse. The transition hasn't been easy. With Matthew's help I was able to narrow down the list of people who would leave the company that knew about my father's shenanigans.

"Boss, you've got a visitor," Carlotta, my assistant, announces to me whilst opening the door of my office. Her blonde hair is up in a half up-do. She looks great today and she's efficient too.

"Oh, okay...," My anxiety pikes up. Is there something wrong with the formulas? Do we have an angry customer again? "Who?"

She looks down at the notepad in her hands. "A Miss. Rayna Perez."

Carlotta looks at me, expectantly. It takes a while for the shock to wear off because I freeze.

"Uh... let her in," I tell her. Carlotta grins.

"Great. I'll let her know." She leaves me be for the next ten seconds. Rayna is fast. She walks right in. I start to stand from my seat, dreading the struggle I'll have to suffer with my obnoxiously large belly.

"Please," she lifts her hand up, stopping me. "Stay seated. I know you're far along in your pregnancy."

I silently thank her because, oh God, it would have taken me forever. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Rayna seems changed. Happier, I think. Her dark hair is longer. The same wavy curls adorn her hair. I think that's the only thing that's stayed the same. I don't miss the large diamond on her finger. It sparkles against the light in the room. Things seem to be going well with Salvador. Rayna takes a seat on one of the chairs before my desk.

"I... didn't like you at first," Rayna is hesitant with her confession.

"I didn't expect you to," I reply. "But it doesn't explain why you're here."