xiii. the mall rats

Cassidy slowly blinked her eyes open, greeted by the radiant sunlight that flooded the room, revealing Max's peaceful breaths next to her

Cassidy slowly blinked her eyes open, greeted by the radiant sunlight that flooded the room, revealing Max's peaceful breaths next to her. A smile played on her lips, and a warm blush colored her cheeks as she whispered, "Maxine." Abruptly, the room morphed into an abyss of darkness, accompanied by an icy chill, signaling Cassidy's return to the upside-down.

Reacting swiftly, she leaped out of bed, instinctively summoning fire with a outstretched hand. In the eerie shadows, her clone materialized, wearing a visage of anger. Undeterred, Cassidy calmly spoke, "Calm down," attempting to maintain control in the unsettling realm of the upside-down.

Cassidy sighed, extinguishing the fire. "What do you want?" she spat, crossing her arms. Her clone smiled, announcing, "We have a new host." Cassidy's curiosity piqued, she questioned, "Who...?" anticipating an unsettling revelation from the upside-down.

"Billy Hargrove," her clone said softly, prompting a gasp from Cassidy. "So, when I became one of the hosts... and I saw Billy..." Cassidy began, seeking confirmation. "Mhmm," her clone hummed in affirmation. "Okay," Cassidy responded, absorbing the revelation with a mix of concern and realization.

Cassidy's room flickered with alternating bursts of light and darkness, and as the disorienting flashes subsided, she awoke to find herself once again nestled beside Max. "Maxine," Cassidy whispered tenderly. Max, responding to the soft call, fluttered her eyes open to discover the warmth of their shared cuddle.

"Hey, Cass," Max greeted with a sleepy yawn, rolling over to face Cassidy. As the morning unfolded, Cassidy, filled with a sense of anticipation, asked, "So, what do you want to do today?" She rose from her bed, ready to embark on their shared adventure.

"I want to practice my skateboarding," Max shared, her enthusiasm evident. Cassidy grinned, responding, "Nice. I got new rollerblades for my birthday, so I'll practice that too." The prospect of a day filled with the joy of shared hobbies and the promise of new experiences lay ahead for the two friends.

Cassidy and Max, dressed and ready for the day, made their way to the Hargrove-Mayfield house. While Cassidy gracefully rollerbladed around the street like a princess, feeling the breeze against her skin, Max attempted tricks on her skateboard. Cassidy's joyful grin faltered when she heard a noise, prompting her to turn around.

Time seemed to slow as Cassidy witnessed Max almost losing balance on her skateboard, the moment hanging in suspended animation. The air crackled with a mix of excitement and concern as Cassidy braced for the outcome of Max's trick.

Cassidy swiftly sped over to Max, catching her in her arms and averting a potential fall. Time returned to its normal pace as the two girlfriends exchanged a relieved glance. Their attention shifted when they noticed Theodore and Eleven walking down the street, holding Max's skateboard. The twins halted in their tracks, bringing the skateboarding duo face to face with Cassidy and Max.