Chapter 5.3

How the hell was he to get rid of her? Felix, Lady Portland on his arm, had twice traversed the terrace. He had no intention of descending to the shadowy avenues. He had no intention of paying any further attention to Lady Portland at all. Lady Portland, in the other hand, was waiting for his attentions to begin and was rather surprised at his lack of ardour in keeping to the terrace.

   They were returning at the end of the terrace, when Felix, glancing along, saw Margaret come out of the ballroom, alone, and walk quickly to the balustrade and peer over. She was clearly seeking someone. Clara Portland, prattling on at his side, had not seen her. With the reflexes necessary for being one of the more successful rakes in the ton. Frlix whisked her ladyship back into the ballroom via the door they were about to pass.

   Finding herself in the ballroom once more, with the Duke of Twyford bowing over her hand in farewell, Lady Portland put a hand to her spinning head. "Oh! But surely..."

   "A guardian is never off duty for long, my dear," drawled Felix, about to move off.

   "Perhaps I'll see you in the Park, tomorrow?" asked Clara, convinced his departure had nothing to do with inclination.

   Felix smiled. "Anything's possible."

   He took a circuitous route around the ballroom and exited through the same door he had seen his ward use. Gaining the terrace, he almost knocked her over as she returned to the ballroom, looking back over her shoulder towards the gardens.

   "Oh!" Finding herself unexpectedly in her guardian's arms temporarily suspended Margaret's faculties.

   From her face, Felix knew she had not been looking for him. He drew her further into the shadows of the terrace, placing her hand on his arm and covering it comfortingly with his. "What is it?"

   Margaret could not see any way of avoiding telling him. She fell into step beside him, unconsciously following his lead. "Sophia. Emma saw her leave the ballroom with Lord Daniel. More than twenty minutes ago. They haven't returned."

   In the dim light, Felix's face took on a grim look. He had suspected there would be trouble. He continued strolling towards the end of the terrace. "I know where they'll be. There's a summer-just deeper in the gardens. I think you had better come with me."

   Margaret nodded and, unobtrusively, they made their way to the summer-house.

  Felix pushed open the door, then frowned at the empty room. He moved further in and Margaret followed. "Not here?"

   Felix shook his head, then bent to pick up a knit of ribbon from the floor.

   Margaret came to see and took it from him. She crossed to the windows, turning the small cluster this way and that to gauge the colour.

   "Is it hers?" asked Felix as he strolled to her side.

   "Yes. I can't see the colour well but I know the knot. It's a peculiar one. I made it myself."

   "So they were here."

   "But where are they now?"

   "Almost certainly on their way back to the house," answered Felix. "There's nowhere in this garden suitable for the purpose Daniel would have in mind. Presumably, your sister convinced him to return to more populated surroundings." He spoke lightly, but, in truth, was puzzled. He could not readily imagine Sophia turning Daniel from his purpose, not in his present mood, not in this setting. But he was sure there was nowhere else they could go.

   "Well, then," said Margaret, dusting the ribbon, "we'd better go back, too."

   "In a moment," said Felix.

   His tone gave Margaret an instant's warning. She out out a hand to fend him off. "No! This is absurd—you know it is."

   Despite her hand, Felix succeeded in drawing her into his arms, holding her lightly. "Absurd, is it? Well, you just keep on thinking how absurd it is, while I enjoy your very sweet lips." And he proceeded to do just that.

   As his lips settled over hers, Margaret told herself she should struggle. But, for some mystical reason, her body remained still, her senses turned inward by his kiss. Under gentle persuasion, her lips parted and, with a thrill, she felt his gentle exploration teasing her senses, somehow drawing her deeper. Time seemed suspended and she felt her will weakening as she melted into his arms and they locked around her.

   Felix's mind was ticking in double time, evaluating the amenities of the summer-house and estimating how long they could remain absent from the ballroom. He decided neither answer was appropriate. Seduction was an art and should not be hurried. Besides, he doubted his eldest ward was quite ready to submit yet. Reluctantly, he raised his head and grinned wolfishly at her. "Still absurd?"

   Margaret's wits were definitely not connected. She simply stared at him uncomprehendingly.

   In the face of this response, Felix laughed and, drawing her arm through his, steered her to the door. "I think you're right. We'd better return."