Chapter 27: Not you

The team made their way from the jet to their cars and then to their posts around the White House. Nat was stationed with Yelena on the south end while Y/N and Steve were stationed in regular clothing directly in front, waiting for any sighting of The Winter Soldier.

"Does anyone have eyes on him yet?" Tony asked from the top of a building where he had FRIDAY searching every inch of the ground.

"Nothing here," Nat responded.

"Not yet," Steve answered.

Before the next post could answer, Wanda's voice came over the earpieces, "I see him. He's on the north end. He's only about 20 people away from you, Y/N."

As they looked around with Steve, they were unable to see him. They made their way to the point that Wanda had seen them, pushing through the crowd as quickly as possible.

When Y/N rounded the side of a large crowd, they saw him. He was also dressed down in normal clothing, but that metal hand was hard to miss. It was undeniably him. As Y/N went to report the sighting, they caught eyes with them and Steve. He took off the opposite way, sprinting as fast as he could and hopping over cars as they came.

"He's on the move! Nat, Yelena, he's coming toward you!" They yelled as they tried to prepare everyone to follow him.

As he ran, Wanda landed directly in front of him, attempting to stop him by moving car after car and truck after truck in front of him. The longer she could stall him, the quicker they could catch up.

Unfortunately, Wanda had underestimated his strength as he plowed through the wall she'd built and knocked her back across the street. Before The Winter Soldier could reach her, Vision had swept down to save her from his reach.

Y/N smirked as they nodded to him. Vision nodded back as they placed her on her feet safely.

The Winter Soldier continued making their way down toward the White House. Nat and Yelena had finally made it down to that end and had started slowing him down. The two were in hand-to-hand combat with him. Every trick they had learned in the Red Room was coming in handy, that was until Nat had lost her gun.

When he realized that it had slipped from her grasp, he had raced her to it and slid to grab it before she could. Thankfully, Nat was able to flip behind the closest car and out of range of the gun.

While he was distracted going after Nat, Yelena had begun firing her own gun from behind a truck that was placed about ten yards away. His eyes quickly darted over to where she was.

"Yelena, get out of there! You're too close!" Tony yelled through their earpieces.

"I've got this!" She yelled back.

Y/N heard this interaction and had begun sprinting faster than they had ever gone before. They were searching each corner for the two in combat before finally round the corner and found them about two blocks from the White House.

As they were sprinting toward them, it felt as though everything started to fall into slow motion as they saw him shoot directly at her while she wasn't shielded by anything. Y/N couldn't run fast enough to tackle her before it made contact with her skin.

When they got to her, The Winter Soldier had taken off but Steve had continued the chase while Y/N stayed to see where the bullet had hit Yelena. As they rolled her over, she smiled up at them, "It wasn't that bad," She stated.

"What the fuck do you mean it wasn't that bad, Yelena?! You could've died!" They yelled.

Nat ran over to check as well when she finally found where Yelena had been hit, "Oh my god," She exclaimed.

"What?" They asked before looking to where Nat's eyes were glued.

The bullet had connected in Yelena's abdomen. She was now gushing blood, but Y/N quickly applied as much pressure as they could.

"No, NO! Fuck, Yelena you can't. You have to stay with me," They said frantically.

"TONY! I need someone down here immediately! Yelena was hit!" Nat yelled through the earpiece before leaning down next to Yelena who was propped up in Y/N's arms.

Tears were burning in Nat and Y/N's eyes as they tried to stop the bleeding that was coming faster than they could bear. 

"Please, Yelena. You have to stay with us," Y/N was begging as she started fluttering her eyes. It was becoming harder and harder for her to stay conscious.

"It's okay, Y/N. It's fine. You'll be fine, this was fun," She said as she reached up to graze her hand across their cheek.

They quickly grabbed her hand and placed a kiss in the center of her palm as the tears began streaming down their face, "No, Yelena don't you leave me. You can't go, please don't go." 

She was fading right in front of them as they were waiting for help to come. Nat was up and yelling, trying to get the Quinjet down to pick Yelena up. Just as they were finally able to get her on board, she began drifting too far off.

Y/N took notice that she was unresponsive, "No, NO! She's GOING! YOU HAVE TO HELP HER! PLEASE!" They were screaming as Clint pulled them from the Quinjet.

"You have to let her go, Y/N. We need you here. Banner will get her back and she'll be fine. Right now, you need to focus on stopping what we have here," Clint said as he shook them by the shoulders.

Tears had stained their cheeks, but they quickly tried reorienting themselves.

"Nat is with her. Banner is going to take care of her. It's going to be fine. You have to get going, come on," He repeated.

Y/N focused on their breathing and tried to bring themselves back. They followed Clint to where Steve was now in hand-to-hand combat himself with The Winter Soldier.

He had gotten to him just a block before he was able to reach the President. They were throwing and taking punch after punch from each other. The ones that landed from The Winter Soldier's metal arm were wearing Steve down quickly.

Just as he had slid back to his shield, Steve turned quickly and flung it directly at The Winter Soldier's face, knocking off the bottom part of his mask. 

This was the first time that anyone would see what he looked like, but as he turned around to face Steve, it was as though they'd known each other in another lifetime.

"...Bucky?" Steve asked when he finally saw his face.