~32~

"You know, The Alchemist? Or even the guy who made your precious hatch if that's how you might know me! It was me, and you two lucked out! To think you'd meet the Vigo in the flesh!"

He proudly ranted, his spirit somehow not dulled even though it seemed as if he was here for a very long time just by the way he spoke. Susie's body slowly eased and what replaced her irritated stare was curiosity, but there was also a sort of unsureness to it.

"You're Vigo? The Vigo? The Entity said she... that she disposed of you! She told all of us you had been dealt with ages ago!"

Susie sputtered out in disbelief and Vigo lets out an amused snort, shaking his head. I had absolutely no clue who he was, but then again, I am fresh meat here.

"Suppose I could leave it to the old timers to discuss matters I'm unaware of."

I kept myself from letting out an amused snort, shaking my head slightly as he began to talk again, ignoring or not even noticing my strange behavior.

"Of course she did. She's scared of me, that's why. I've been here for... well, a long time studying her and this realm. Everything within it, actually. I've begun to gain more power. She knows I'm alive, but she just doesn't know where I'm at. And she's not gonna figure it out either."

I purse my lips, studying Vigo as he began sorting through vials, and other equipment that I didn't really recognize. On a wall nearby there were strange substances in jars, numerous of the jars lining the large shelf he had pushed against it. I warily eye some sort of flower that had been preserved in one of the larger jars, most of it's color being the same of The Entity's, with spines that looked like her legs stretching outwards from its pistil.

"I don't think I wanna know what's in those."

I thought, scrunching up my nose. I look back towards Susie, who seemed to be lost in thought, then back towards him.

"But how did you get us out of there? How did you even know what was happening?"

I questioned him, and he looks over his shoulder at me, pausing whatever it was that he was doing.

"Let's just say that a close friend of mine is capable of seeing into memories, glimpses of the past, present, and sometimes even future. With his help, I'm able to see them as well. That's how I knew."

He taps a finger to his temple, grinning at us as to show off... his intelligence or capability? Maybe both, but his exact intentions were still be unclear.

"You mean to tell me there's another weirdo— correction— another two weirdos, besides giant spider lady that's always spying on us?" I glare at him, then look over at Susie, who seemed to be uncomfortable. "Pervs."

I mutter while rolling my eyes and the color drains from the man's face, a bewildered look taking over his otherwise confident one.

"Wait, wait it's not like that! You have the wrong idea! The completely wrong idea!"

He quickly tries to explain, putting his hands up in a defensive-like manor. Susie choked down a laugh at this behavior as I bit my lip to hold myself back from letting out a snicker. So we finally broke through that overly arrogant attitude of his.

"Alriiight dude. Calm down."

Susie sighed out, also rolling her eyes at the man. She placed a hand on her hip as she stares him down, her right brow raising slightly.

"So you gonna tell us why we're here now? What made you save us?"

She inquired, sucking the side of her cheek. He fumbled with the hem of his lab coat as he regained his composure, straightening his stance and looking in our general direction, but not directly at us.

"Well... for an... experiment, I suppose that I could say."

His brow furrowed after he slowly spoke those words, seeming concerned.

"But why?"

I wondered as my gaze stayed locked onto him, waiting for him to continue speaking.

"I've been trying to... create a way to send those who have been taken away and dropped into this place, back to the mortal realm. Home."

He quickly got to the point. Susie and I both share a silent look. I could see the doubt swimming behind those eyes, a reflection of the same emotion evidently showing in my own {E/C} gaze. That couldn't be possible.

"But, she's a god. Some sort of deity? How can you just undo her doing?"

Susie speaks my thoughts, her doubt seeping out of every word she spoke.

"My friend, I have been here for a very long time. Though I can't say how much, as I began to lose count after a decade or so, but all I have had here was my research. I've had much time to think of this, with some help and theories also coming from the Observer." He paused, his eyes clouding over with what seemed to be grief, maybe? "Some friends who... aren't as lucky or unlucky as us to be around anymore also gave me their two cents on these thoughts. I have had nothing but time."

He gives us a sad smile, then claps his hands together as he blinks away the emotions that had just overcome him.

"Can't guarantee that anything will work, or if you guys will even live, but it's better than suffering hundreds of painful deaths time after time again, amirite?"

Though I hadn't had the misfortune of feeling that yet, the few wounds that I managed to get from my short time here would agree with that statement. I noticed Susie grimace, and couldn't help but ask myself what all she had suffered through while being here.

"I'll take that as yes, or some sort of twisted consent for you two to be my lab rats! Though you may not pass the first round of testing it's worth a shot."

My stomach twisted at the thought of what could happen, but what could possibly go wrong?

"Famous last words, huh?"

I sighed as Susie ran her thumb over the back of my hand, and in return I gently squeeze hers.

If we leave this place, we'd have a shot at a normal relationship. Or whatever feelings it was that we had for each other.

"Relationship? Love?..."

My heart warmed at the curious possibilities of it all. But it wouldn't be possible if we couldn't find a way to get the hell out of here first.

{A/N:}
shit y'all, 40k reads? you guys are amazing, i'm trying my best to get inspiration and motivation to write, so thank you so much for sticking around while that eventually happens (: