Chapter 67

Shruti's POV

The home was decorated with flowers and lights. His mom rushed towards me. I bent to touch her feet but before I could do that, she hugged me.

Maurvi and Aunty made us enter the home in the whole traditional way.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that they all welcomed me with open arms and hearts.

When Siddharth came to hug her she pulled his ear for pulling the stunt and marrying without his parents.

Uncle came and hugged me too. When I tried touching his feet he shook his head and said, " Please don't do this beta... "

I was surprised but then he smiled at me and said, " Confused ?? Let me explain... First of all, I believe that it is better if your kids love and respect you for what you are not just because you are their parents. Respect should not be shown just publically. Respect should be there in our hearts, eyes and manners. So there is no need to touch my feet. " I just smiled and nodded.

" What are the other reasons? " I asked.

" There are a few more like  I don't want to treat you as daughters-in-law, you are as much a part of this family as any of us are. I always wanted to have daughters and got boys only, so now,  I  have two beautiful daughters and in our traditions, girls don't touch the feet of their parents. " I was on the verge of crying to hear him say that.

" And the most important reason is that it doesn't match my personality and as it is I am not that old or old fashioned. I am very young at heart. So please spare me... But you can touch the feet of your mom, she is getting older. The typical Lalita Pawar type saas... "  He said the last line in a very low voice and winked at me.  I tried my level best not to laugh.

" Enough !! I heard you... Nice joke!! Now face the music Mr Young Jindal.  Sleep in the guest room.  "

" No!! Sudha, please yaar !! I was just trying to make an impression on my new daughter. Don't spoil my image!!"

"  Why do you want to live with an ageing woman?? Lalita Pawar?? After all, you are younger than Sid, isn't it? This old woman may disturb you as she might cough all night. "

" Jaan... It was a joke... Why are you behaving like this??  Oh no !! Are you getting mood swings?? Shit !!  " He said looking alarmed.

What happened?? She was having mood swings ?

But why ?? 

Oh, ok... maybe because of menopause...

" Shut up !! There is nothing like that. Don't say another word or you will sleep in the garden. "  Mom was threatening him. Siddharth, Bhaiya and Maurvi were trying not to laugh.

" Sorry Jaan, I was just trying to make her smile. You are looking very young and beautiful even younger than Maurvi and Shruti. Isn't it girls??  "

" Yes, dad " Maurvi said.

" Yes, uncle..." I said.

" Who is uncle?? I am dad. "  He said and I nodded.

" Mom looks very young. In fact that day one of my father's friends said that he thought that mom was actually, Gautam's sister. He was very impressed when I told him the truth. He wanted to meet mom and ask her the secret of her beauty. " Maurvi said.

" What?? No !!! Tell him to keep off, she is mine. Or I will break his teeth. "  He looked angry and overprotective just like his sons.

We all were smiling by now.