Chapter Thirty Nine - Tyson

Tyson ~

I sat alone the basement, dismantling and cleaning one of my guns, enjoying the solitude and quiet that surrounded me while Kinsley painted upstairs.

Every day brought another attack from Angelo's crew and every day my fear for Kinsleys safety grew.

More and more members of the families were being attacked and my mind instantly drifted to my parents. I replayed their deaths in my mind almost every night, reliving the gut wrenching pain and terror that I felt as I witnessed their brutal murders with my mind always turning to Kinsley.

I can never let that be Kinsley.

So we tightened up our safety protocols, not letting her leave the house in fear of a drive by or a breach in security.

She was a damn prisoner in the house while Dane and I took shifts. When he was at the club running money, I'd stay home with Kinsley and when I had to go handle business, Dane stayed home which meant we had barely seen each other. Not that Dane wanted to see me. He could barely stand to look at me lately which was starting to wear on me.

I cleaned each part of my gun, taking my time with every piece when I heard a tiny knock on the door.

"What are you doing down here Kins?" I asked without moving.

"I got lonely." She said softly.

Turning my head to get a look at her, I noticed the dark circles under her eyes.

"Come here." I said, patting my lap as an invitation that she gladly accepted.

She crawled into my lap and sat there, surveying the hardware in front of me.

I reached up and gathered her light brown hair in my hand, shifting it over her shoulder and holding it lightly at the base of her neck. She felt lighter, like she hadn't been eating.

"Have you eaten today?"

"I'm not hungry, I'll eat later." She said, refusing to look at me as she spoke the words.

I ran the back of my knuckle down her cheek, coaxing her to turn to face me.

"When was the last time you slept?" I asked.

"It's been a day or two." She mumbled.

She's not eating and she's not sleeping. Our Kinsley deserves better than this.

"Let's see if we can fix that." I said, helping her out of my lap as I stood.

"It's 4:00pm." She chuckled.

"But if you haven't slept in two days what's it fucking matter?" I said with a grin, taking her by the hand as I led her upstairs.

"Can I see what you painted?"

She pulled her hand from mine at my question, using it to fidget with her hair as we reached the top of the stairs.

"I couldn't." She said with her voice cracking slightly.

Can't eat, can't sleep, can't paint, can't leave...what kind of life is this? 

I hated to see her like this and wanted to fix it, but I didn't know how.

Leading her down the hallway, I decided a change of scenery might trick her little mind into sleeping.

"Aren't we going to your bed?" She asked as we passed the door to my room.

"Nope we're going to yours." I said over my shoulder.

"My room? But we've never slept in there."

"Exactly, maybe it'll help you sleep."

I pulled back the comforter and climbed into her bed, letting her wrap her small body around mine, hoping I could help her find sleep and possibly get some much needed sleep for myself as well.

She tossed and fidgeted, letting her eyes dance across the room as she became lost in her own thoughts.

"You hurtin baby?" I asked, running my hand over her healing body.

"Not really, I just can't quiet my thoughts. Everything is so loud and scary." She admitted honestly.

It gutted me that Kinskey was too afraid to fall asleep, too afraid of her own mind to relax. I knew that feeling all too well and it was torture.

How can I fix this? 

Remembering that Kinsley responded to my commands above all else, I decided to help her the only way I knew how. 

"Kinsley...close your eyes." I commanded in a deep voice that got her attention as I reached up and ran my fingers down her face and over her eyelids.

"Take a deep breath."

I felt her chest inflate at my words, following my commands to the letter. 

"Good." I praised, drawing the word out long and lazy.

Placing my hand on her neck, I let my thumb brush back and forth across her cheek as she breathed deeply.

"In and out baby. Nice and slow." I soothed watching her chest rise and fall and feeling her breath dance across my bare chest.

She draped her arm across my torso and one leg across my body as she squeezed tightly.

"Relax your muscles Kins." I said, but she didn't listen.

I reached down and ran my hand along the back of her thigh near her ass, massaging and kneading the muscle with my thumb and fingers.

"Relax." I said low against her ear, feeling her muscles start to loosen beneath my hand.

"Good girl." I praised, feeling her relax even further. "Such a good girl."

I tilted her head up, using my thumb to give me access to the soft skin of her neck and started a slow sensual trail of kisses there.

"No ones gonna hurt you Kinsley...it's just you and me." I said between lazy kisses on her neck.

Her body started to go lax and I felt her give more of her weight to me as I wrapped my arms around her and held her.

That's it baby, sleep for me.

"I love you, Kins." I whispered against her ear. "I love you so fucking much."

"I love you Tyson." She cooed softly with her lips grazing my chest, just before she finally lost the battle and gave into a deep sleep.

My eyes became heavy as I laid beneath her, letting the steady thumping of her heart and the even rise and fall of her chest against mine lull me to sleep.

It was peaceful and perfect and we slept that way for hours, never waking or stirring, completely content and safe in each other's arms.