January 3

The drive down to Miami started at 4 am. It would take about seven hours to get there and they didn't want to feel rushed with anything during their short getaway.
  Again, they chose to take Daphne's car with Chris driving since she'd never been to Miami. She was well aware however that the crazy amount of traffic would amp up her anxiety. For the time being she was snoozing away as Chris traveled further South.
  The sun was beginning to rise so he tossed on his sunglasses thinking back to the morning after Christmas.

Chris POV

  Knock, knock, knock. I hear Dodger start to bark and run towards the door. Knock, knock, knock. "Coming," I call out pulling on my sweat pants. I glance at the clock over the stove and see it's just 6:30 am.
  I look through the peep hole and see a bouncy young woman on my doorstep. I open the door and immediately say, "excuse me ma'am. You're not suppose to be here til 10.
  Excitedly Daphne runs past me into the living room. "Get dressed. I wanna go tell my parents."
  I look at her in shock. "Who are you and what have you done with my fiancé? She's not normally chipper like you."
"Hush it mister," she says as she goes to my bedroom closet. "I spent the vast majority of the night on cloud 9. Now, put these on and let's go."
I catch the clothes she tosses at me and go into the bathroom to change. "Are your parents even up this early?" I ask behind the closed door.
"They kept Sarah last night so I'm sure they've been up for at least an hour," she tells me confidently.
I change out of my bed shirt and into the Henley she gave me. Reluctantly I pull on my jeans, although I'd much rather stay in sweats. I tame my bed head and brush out my beard to lay straight. "I'm surprised you didn't call them last night."  I open the door before I start brushing my teeth.
  "I figured since I'm the only girl I should do it in person. Which brings up a question," she says as she leans against the door frame. "Did you ask my dad?" 
  "Sure did," I say with a mouthful of toothpaste. "Twice," I spit. "Your mom once."
  She raises both eyebrows and looks panicked. "Twice? Did he say no the first time?"
  I rinse out my mouth before I answer. "No. I asked him the day of  your brother's wedding first. He joined me out back for a cup of coffee. I told him that I didn't know when but I knew I wanted you to be my wife. Then I asked if he would bless it when the time came."
  "And?" She asks me to continue waving her hand around.
"And he told me that if I wanted to ask you the following day he and your mom would say yes," I tell her as I finish my routine. "He may have also mentioned that I am exactly what they prayed for when it comes to you." I wiggle my brows at her.
"Man, you really have them snowed, huh," she says with a shake of her head. "I know. Can't believe they fell for it," I say with a wink and a tickle to her sides.
  As we get in her car she realizes she forgot to ask about the second time.
  "It was your last day of school. I got off and had breakfast with your parents. That's when I asked your mom and your dad realized then that it was getting closer to time," I tell her.
"Was that all a part of your plan for that night? Before, ya know, I collapsed on the kitchen floor? Do you mean I could've been engaged that night?" She asks as she starts to ramble out her thoughts.
I shake my head no. And it's the truth. "That night I was going to take you to the land because I had signed the closing papers that morning."
"Hmm...not sure I believe you on that one," she says as gives me side eye.
I can't help but laugh as I toss my hands in the air. "It's the truth! I promise!"

Daphne knocks on her parents door as we wait on the porch. Laura opens it to find Daphne holding up her left hand yelling "I'm engaged!!"
Laura throws her hands to the sky with a "thank ya Lord" and grabs her into a hug. "Baby I'm so sorry I was distant yesterday. I was terrified I was going to blow the surprise," she says as she squeezes her tight. 
  Daphne has tears in her eyes, "I thought I had done something wrong!"
  Adam comes walking into the room holding a cup of coffee. I can tell by his face he's trying not to smile. "Daddy! We're getting married!" she says running to him. She grabs him so hard the coffee sloshes out of his cup. "Yeah you are!" He pulls back from her and kisses her on her forehead before squeezing her tight again.
  I remain on the sidelines letting them have this moment together. It's like watching one of those perfect moments between family members. I'm fighting back my own emotions as I realize I won't have this experience with my parents. Guess I'll have to settle with the excitement my siblings had yesterday.
  Laura takes my hand pulling me out of my inner turmoil. "Come and sit! I want to hear all about it."