~Thirty-One~

I started my descent slowly like the Doctor had told me too. He'd said that I needed to ascend and descend slowly because I could die if I didn't and he didn't want to test if I was immune to decompression sickness.

I followed a steep cliff down, it had appeared after about sixty or so feet. The Doctor would announce every fifty feet I'd gone.

It got darker and darker as I went, I was thankful for Tony's last gift to me before I'd left, contacts that allowed me to see in the dark. They adjusted to the low light at two hundred and fifty feet.
.
.
.
It took what felt like forever, but I had finally hit two thousand feet. It felt a little chilly to me, but it wasn't unbearable.

"How are you doing Syrena?" I heard David ask, I flashed a thumbs up in front of the camera.

"Good, the coelacanths like to hide in the crevices in the cliff face, so I think you should start there," he informed.

I swam along the length of the crevice, it didn't seem to end in any direction, backward or either side.

"Be careful Syrena, we can't help you if you get lost in there," I heard in my ear.

I peered in, I didn't see anything. I continued along the outside length of the crevice, hoping I'd find something.

It took what felt what like forever, my arms hurt from carrying the camera.

I was about to head back up to the surface for food when I saw movement in my peripheral. My attention snapped in that direction, I froze. What the actual hell was that thing. It was in the open and staring at me.

"Syrena? Are you okay? You stopped," I heard in my ear.

I slowly lifted the camera to show them what I was seeing. It was about three foot long.

"Okay Syrena, that is a warty sea devil okay? It's not going to hurt you, just ignore it,".

I did not like this fish. It was the first sea animal I'd every felt fear toward.

I swallowed a lump in my throat. I put my hand in front of the camera and pointed up.

"That's alright Syrena, come on back. Remember to take it slow,".